I'm confused. (radiator related)

-
Yes there were. My 68 dart has a 26 in rad in it. The opening is bigger to allow air flow to the bigger rad. If you wanted to you could open up the opening and put the larger rad in yours.

The big block cars had 26 rads with the hoses reversed from a small block,but they make an after market small block rad 26'' wide.Or like in my car some one put (by the numbers) a later 70's rad in mine.Its 26" and has the pentastar on it plus the hoses are correct location #4016995 with also # 20446.

I'm not planning on opening up the 22" opening on my car with the new 26" radiator. Seems to me cooling will not be affected that much as air will still be moving on the edges as the fined part sits an inch back from the opening. Also the front opening is 22x17" which is more area then the 18" round opening on the other side with a shroud. We will see though as it's not been run that way yet.

I'm not planning on opening up the 22" opening on my car with the new 26" radiator. Seems to me cooling will not be affected that much as air will still be moving on the edges as the fined part sits an inch back from the opening. Also the front opening is 22x17" which is more area then the 18" round opening on the other side with a shroud. We will see though as it's not been run that way yet.

The 18" opening in the shroud doesn't act like an 18" opening. It has to be that size so the fan fits snug to create a vacuum to draw air through the entire radiator. Where it mounts to the radiator should be the same as the core size (give or take a small ammount) and that's how it acts. Opening up the core would definetly be beneficial but that's up to you.

I think the air behaves like a fluid, I realize the opening is sized to make the fan into a pump but still the greatest restriction is the 18" round opening not the 22x17" opening. Especially as it is offset back so air can get to all the fins. It will accelerate trough the 22x17 opening, then slow down, then go through the 26x17" radiator then accelerate even more to go through the 18" round opening. There is some head loss in the first restriction but it's a low head, high volume situation. Like I said, if it doesn't seem to cool well I'll open it up, but I think the surface area of the fins is what really matters.

-
Back