I'm in the Dark

-

flyintiger

Morden, Mb. Canada
Reaction score
Suddenly have no headlights. Park lights come on ok, but as soon as I pull switch for headlights I get a click or pop in the switch and headlights won't come on. This is in a 74 Dart Sport I recently purchased and they were working when I received the car. Any ideas of where to continue? Already spent 2 nights trying to figure this out.

Check for power and ground with a test light at the head lights first...possibly both headlights blew.....possible ground by rad support....possibly fuse under left side dash...possibly switch...did I miss anything LOL

Thanks for the advise. I have not yet tried all these options. I'll go give it a try.

Check your grounds first.Then I would check the light switch its shelf.
I had a voltage regulator go bad on a 69 Valiant years ago.Too many volts and it blew the lights.I put in two new headlights and they blew again then I figured out it was the voltage regulator.
Jim

The headlight switch has a circuit breaker built in for the headlights. Sounds like it is tripping when you turn on the lights. May be worn out and it is time for a new light switch.

I guess the simple thing would be to check and make sure that I have not blown both headlights. If history repeats itself, it almost always goes back to a bad ground. I'll check the basics first. Thanks for the suggestions.

Can anyone tell me if the knob for the headlight switch is just pushed on? Can't seem to get the thing off to remove my switch.

theres a button on the switch body you have to depress to pull the knob and stem assembly out.

Thanks for all the help. This is the greatest site and forum for immediate help.

Problem finally solved. I had pinched the headlight to dimmer switch wires in the kick panel when re-installing the door hinges after replacing my pins and bushings. Three nights of back tracking everything that happened since they last worked finally paid off. Thanks for all the tips.

-
Back