Import the grey market cars

-
After some reading the Grey Market is thus:

Say you want to buy a car that is made in another country. You go to their local dealership in your city and they want $50,000 for the vehicle. You know that the same vehicle sells in it's main country for only $20,000. So you find a company that buys the vehicles over there then ships it to you. They are UNOFFICIAL dealers of those said vehicles.

The car company doesn't like companies like that seller their product to a country where it's normally more expensive for said product but technically it's all legal.

Say you want to buy a car that is made in another country. You go to their local dealership in your city and they want $50,000 for the vehicle. You know that the same vehicle sells in it's main country for only $20,000. So you find a company that buys the vehicles over there then ships it to you. They are UNOFFICIAL dealers of those said vehicles.

The car company doesn't like companies like that seller their product to a country where it's normally more expensive for said product but technically it's all legal.

I know what Grey Market cars are....often times they are lacking our safety equipment....and smog garbage.....Years ago there was a "dealer" in the Orange County NY area, I think, that could get you damn near anything you wanted. He would just basically grease someones palm at DMV and get you a NY title so you could register your ride. Was driving by there one night when some rich dude was picking up his Ferrari F40. Years ago I knew of a fellow that had a street legal Suzuki RG500 Gamma....it was what was being raced on the GP circuit. He got it from the fellow in NY. Cost him close to 10k to get a title that did not state not for street use.....I was trying to buy it but my wife at the time put the brakes on it....

Anyway, like I said, I am not going to sign as petition that has nothing to do with me. There is absolutely no way I will ever be able to buy one of "those" rides so could not care less...this petition applies to those poor rich bastards..

That's what the writer of the article in your original post wants you to believe and it's true if you're dealing with some exotic, but there's day-to-day implications of of the Grey Market, too.

There's a dealership here who got busted a couple of times for Grey Market vehicles, primarily Chrysler products. Back in the mid and late '90's upstate NY was full of Chrysler Intrepids, Chrysler Neons, Chrysler Stratuses. Remember, here in the states these cars are - were - sold under the Dodge and Plymouth nameplates.

The dealership was bringing in vehicles made and sold for the Canadian market. Everyone who bought one of these Chrysler nameplate Dodges were getting screwed out of there warranty. No other dealership would (could) touch 'em and the selling dealership would take weeks to fix 'em as he had to "warranty" them through the Canadian network.

I have no problem with gray-market cars. Heck, I would LOVE a straight-axle Toyota Hilux!

I used to work for a lady who's family frequently bought gray market European taxi spec mercedes benz's.

They typically had velour interiors, something you never see in a US market benz.

IIRC they were 380/420 models and she said they were about 20K plus $2500 shipping, which was a hell of a lot cheaper than a US one and actually cheap enough to not worry about a warranty.

I have no problem with gray-market cars.

Same here. The petition sounds like a dealer that wants the competition eliminated to me. If the grey market cars force him to sell cheaper, so be it.

I have a brother in law who had a car lot that dealt with exotic imports that wasn't grey market and his primary home in the OKC area cost him over $2.5M to have built over 30 years ago. He had more money, property (across the United States) and fancier stuff than anyone deserves but he was the one that earned it.

Means I can get another skyline gtr, hell yeah!
I really miss my first one :twisted:

-
Back