In an accident, advice dealing with other ins company

-

340doc

Reaction score
My sons Duster was hit by our neighbors daughter backing out of their driveway. Her dad immediately phoned their insurance company and took responsibility for the accident. Geico called me within 20 minutes and told me they were taking responsibility for fixing my son's car. I have an appointment to take the car to one of there facility's for an estimate and don't know what to expect. I plan on using a repair shop of my own choosing. Should I have my estimates in hand when I meet the Geico rep? How do they get prices for parts on these old cars? Any tips for a anxious dad?

FB_IMG_1491784596185.jpg

FB_IMG_1491784581646.jpg

All I can say is once the check is cashed it's considered settlement. Don't cash it until the car is fixed. You do have the choice to have it repaired at the facility you choose and I would go get that estimate first. I would also insist on an alignment check being where it was hit.

What a shame, awesome ride. After you get YOUR estimate don't be afraid to negotiate, too important not to get right.

What a shame, awesome ride. After you get YOUR estimate don't be afraid to negotiate, too important not to get right.
Florida is a no fault state you will most likely be dealing with your own insurance company. I would call your insurance company now and be prepared for the possibility of having to sue to get fairly compensated.

Brian

Give Geico a chance. We have had them over 20 years. They are a stand up company.

Geico loves to use their preferred shops. The adjuster may insist that you have the car fixed at their shop. Legally, you are not obligated to have the repair done at their shop. You can take it where you want it fixed.
As for prices, I have found that adjusters will go to ebay to get an idea of what the parts are going for.
They're notorious for low-balling and using the cheapest they can find.
GEICO has attempted in the past, to just buy you off. Telling you that you have a "used car".
The good news, you are the claimant. You control how this goes. Keep in mind if the insurance co. doesn't play ball, you go tell your neighbor you have to file a lawsuit against him. He'll panic and stress the adjuster.
I hate to say it, but I've seen it happen in the past, way to many times.

Never let "their" insurance call the shots. You have an insurance company and they work for you. Make sure you get them involved and make them do the work. At the end of the day, your company is the one that insures the car and has a vested interest in it's condition and the satisfaction of you...their customer.

The other guy's insurance company is only looking out for their bottom line and their customer...which isn't you.

Thank you all for your input. Hoping for the best. Just want to get it fixed. Makes me sick to see it this way.

I can't imagine how your son must feel. But the right shop will make it disappear!

Hopefully the adjuster isn't a mopar guy, he'll take one look at the black engine bay and painted bumper and write it off as a total loss
:poke:

Remember, it is the adjusters job to save his company money. It's your to make sure you get a fair settlement. I would get at least two estimates from shops that do repairs on your type of car. In almost every case I had to haggle with the adjuster, I was able to get the initial estimate increased.

I've been with Geico 23 years. TWENTY THREE FUCKIN YEARS. I have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.

In February 2015, Kitty and I were involved in an accident that totaled my 2004 Ranger. TWO DAYS later, I had a check IN MY HAND for what was left over AFTER Geico paid my truck off. It had 140K plus miles on it and was NOT in Blue Book Excellent condition, but that's what they gave me for it, no questions asked.

That is my FIRST HAND experience with Geico. Believe whatever you want. It's a good company.

Hopefully the adjuster isn't a mopar guy, he'll take one look at the black engine bay and painted bumper and write it off as a total loss
The engine bay is yellow, Its weird you cant see it in the pics. Shadows I guess. I'll take credit for the bumpers though, LOL

hey, with a yellow engine bay it is salvageable...hope he will be able to get it fixed up right

I spoke with my insurance company this morning, they said wait and see what happens with Geico and go from there. I'll have two estimates in my hand at the time of our meeting. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses, easing my mind a bit.

I can't imagine how your son must feel. But the right shop will make it disappear!
We both took it pretty hard. We brought this car back from the dead together and he really takes pride in it. Thank you

Maybe the neighbors daughter needs to learn to look backwards where she's backing up.
That could have been someones kid.
I have just never understood how someone can hit a stationary object, but watching how people back up over the years gives me a good idea.

Maybe the neighbors daughter needs to learn to look backwards where she's backing up.
That could have been someones kid.
I have just never understood how someone can hit a stationary object, but watching how people back up over the years gives me a good idea.
Boy for sure. I think she punched it coming out of the driveway. She was crying the whole time and was shook up also. I'm all over town for work and I see things every day that make me shake my head.

All I can say is once the check is cashed it's considered settlement. Don't cash it until the car is fixed. You do have the choice to have it repaired at the facility you choose and I would go get that estimate first. I would also insist on an alignment check being where it was hit.
I agree on the alignment, thanks GeorgeH

shurly u jest. all chevys have black engine bays don`t they ? I would want to see the parts before ,what their putting on it too !

I had Mercury ins. and the guy that bumped me had Mercury too. They made the car look better than what I started with pre-bump for sure. Mercury also totalled out my LS400 after it got side swiped. They sent me 3 listings from So. Cal Auto Trader of LS's with condition and mileage within 10% and sent me a check of that average price in 4 days. I showed them the receipt of 4 1 month-new tires and they kicked in $300 more bucks which I thought was fair. just a story....if they replace the fender, insist on OEM. even used will fit better than cheap aftermarket, especially the newer stuff.

shurly u jest. all chevys have black engine bays don`t they ? I would want to see the parts before ,what their putting on it too !

yes, that was in total jest, thats why i added the :poke: below it

If it were me I'd call my ins company. I'd also take it to a shop of my choosing and get an estimate. Make sure your ins co has a copy of that estimate. Let the ins companies work it all out.

-
Back