In memory of Zane

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
well, its been almost a year since i lost my cousin/best friend. I figured now would be a good time to do a follow up on Zanes dart since it will be a year on march 9th since the accident. I tried to do this earlier right after the car was completed but just couldnt..... I know he would be proud to see it now.

n1499460040_17637_5468.jpg

n506553654_67621_7684.jpg

this is a picture we took a couple years back right after zane bought his dart.

Here are some "before" pictures, right after we pulled out the 318 2bbl, wich is why the front end is soo high. Soon after i took these pictures the car went to quality auto body in pierre, south dakota

SNV30008.jpg

SNV30012.jpg

SNV30013.jpg

SNV30015.jpg

SNV30016.jpg

SNV30017.jpg

sorry i had to put up links to the pics, i couldnt get the photobucket pictures to just show up like the first two pictures. Anyway, the car went to quality auto body, as you can tell from the before pictures, the car was all origional with 89k miles on it. the car had a few dings here and there and then the major damage was an old lady had slammed into the rear driver side quarter while being with the old owner. The "swinger" got a new quarter pannel and an extension for the passenger side for a little bit of rust that was showing through. Other than that everything else was carfully put back into shape. After alot of hours put into the body a fresh coat of Go Mango paint was applied, along with a bee stripe and hood scoops. The car still wears the chrysler rally wheels that i gave to zane.

Meanwhile the engine was being built. Zane had just started tearing down a 360, out of a 78 dodge pickup, the weekend before the accident. So Bob Woods of Woods Repair in highmore, south dakota, took off where Zane left off. The engine was punched out 30 thousanths, and recieved a new set of forged pistons. The stock crank was ground, and a new set of eagle connecting rods was used. A weiand action plus intake and demon carb were ordered, along with mopar performance valve covers/air cleaner. The heads were ordered from aerohead (brand off of indy), they are basicly stock heads with bronz valve guides, 2.02 intake valves. Headman headers were ordered up with cherrybomb glasspacks. Zane had all this planned out, so alls we had to do was make it come together.

The tranmission is the old 318's 904 torqueflite with a shift kit, the rear end going in the car is a 8.25 suregrip with 3.55 gears

n1499460050_21027_4538.jpg

n1499460050_21030_5465.jpg

heres the rest of the pictures
SNV30054.jpg

SNV30056.jpg

SNV30057.jpg

SNV30058.jpg

SNV30072.jpg

SNV30074.jpg

SNV30075.jpg

SNV30077.jpg

SNV30078.jpg

SNV30080.jpg

SNV30079.jpg

SNV30083.jpg

the car now has a Grant A-body woodgrain steering wheel
SNV30084.jpg

SNV30086.jpg

Im sure there are alot of info im forgetting, just ask. Oh yea, i forgot the only thing im still looking for is blinker lenses for his 73 dart, anyone have any laying around?

Was his middle name Shombie (not sure about the spelling) by chance? My brother had a good freind named Zane. Named one of his kids Zane after him, and the other Shombie. I think he was either in the Dakotas or Washington state.

thanks for all the compliments on the car, i know it would make him smile. To be honest i cant thank all the people who helped with this car enough. Soo many people donated parts, labor, or just helped out where they could. It helped out Zane's parents a lot financially too as building a car like this was not cheap to build. Just goes to show you what the classic car community can achieve in times of need

again, what i did for the car was minimal compared to what all the other people put in

Tate, it's really hard to believe it's been almost a year ... but it was obviously time and attention VERY well spent. You have done his memory and his car a true honor and everyone involved should be very proud of what's been accomplished -- it's beautiful!

It sure has been a fast year thanson_mopar, I remember the thread you wrote in memory of a great friend and cousin.
Zane is very proud and you are a great man for keeping him in your hart bud.
The dart looks Great and you should be very proud of your self.
God bless you and all that new Zane and got involved on the restoration.
Very Nice :cheers:

In memory of Zane, I saved these two pictures if you don't mind.
It sure is a beautifully built Dart :cheers:

SNV30056 (Custom).jpg

SNV30054 (Custom) (3).jpg

-
Back