Incorrect dash vin tag

-
F63FED30-8E9B-4E09-9B06-F4689E77B16E.gif

I had a VIN Tag issue back in the 90s with a 74 power wagon that I was semi-rebuilding. The doors were dented and rusted. I was able to find a new set of doors in the local Fairbanks junkyard. I then realized that the 74 Dodge trucks did not have a VIN tag riveted to the dash. the VIN-tags on those trucks, as some of you may know are riveted to the drivers door. So me being a law abiding citizen, I drilled out the original VIN tag that was on the title and registration of the truck and brought the truck along with the old VIN TAG to the DMV. This DMV also housed our local Fairbanks trooper barracks. When I walked up to the counter of the DMV explained to the lady what I was doing, I proceeded to slap the original VIN tag on the counter. You should’ve seen her eyes light up when she saw that!! she immediately told me to stop and ran-to the back. About five minutes later she came back with a trooper who I told the story to and he asked me where the truck was. I told him it was out in the parking lot he told me to drive it around to the trooper garage where he proceeded to take the keys and said go wait in the lobby I’ll get back to you. Long story short two hours later my registration and title had changed VIN numbers It now had a primary and a secondary VIN which was stamped on the frame rail that it took forever to find. He said that I came very close to getting my truck impounded. Lesson learned. I should’ve just thrown the old door in the back of the truck and drove it to the DMV without drilling out the VIN tag.

Childish? So we have maturity cops making rounds too?? Lol:poke:
@Alaskan_TA I agree It would be faster to go to the police. Nothing is fast with the DMV. However, the OP is doing what he thinks is best and we should respect that.

I also agree with what @4spragtop said (although not in the childish manner he said it). If the OP went to the DMV, it’s not time to go to the police. If the DMV believes there is a crime (like If the other vin comes back stolen) they’ll contact the police. At least that’s what would happen in my state.

At the end of the day, it’s up to the OP. All we can do is give him advice.

Is 'the man' you mention your state police?

If so, they can get to this a whole lot faster than the DMV which does not typically investigate crime.

I have good contacts in NY state, so I can and will report this crime with you or without you.

As stated before, it is best for you as the victim to report the crime yourself.
I almost always agree with everything you say, and I truly do value your knowledge and insight, but I do have to disagree with this. I don't think it is your business to intrude on this at this time. The Op has started the ball rolling on an investigation.

I have good contacts in NY state, so I can and will report this crime with you or without you.

It's not your car (either of them). What is your interest in this? You gave the OP your best advice, now get your nose out of his business. SHEEH!

Seems to me that the OP asked for opinions. Now, nowhere does he ask anyone to do anything for him. He's an adult and will take the opinions and make his own path to resolution. Let's let him deal with the consequences...good or bad.

This is why I'm not really interested in paying the big bucks for "matching numbers cars". I'm sure the auction houses are full of these counterfeit vehicles as its so easy to do a re-body with the original documentation of an original car.
I have everything needed to re-create an original 69 Formula S FastBack at my house and if I had done it, it would be virtually undetectable. Every number, id plate, documentation, owners manual, Bill of sale, would have been in place.

As long as I'm alive it will be "garage art".

With today's technology, it is possible to re-create anything if the price is right. I'm betting a lot of the "original" Hemi Cuda's are rebody's/rebuilds.

Graveyard Cars had an episode about a Daytona Charger that I helped locate. I was running a thread about Old Musclecars and one of the respondents informed me about a Daytona Charger that was buried in his neighbourhood. Another aquaintance of mine went to the location and dug up the remains. He was then able to locate the original owner who still had the VIN, Data plate and Bill of sale. All of this was then sold to a person in Maine who approached Mark Worman about doing a rebody with the remains of the Daytona. After considering it Mark, to his credit, declined and the VIN # is now registered with the Daytona owners club as being destroyed.

I'm betting that somewhere down the road, this car will make an appearance again.

Here's a very old picture of the car provided by the original owner. He was also the owner of the first and only Hemi Daytona I ever rode in.

upload_2022-3-30_9-53-15.jpeg

Here's the Graveyard Cars episode for this Daytona

Last edited:
I'm going to stick up a bit for Alaskan_TA. If you have read his posts over the years it is obvious that he is passionate about documentation. And nothing gets him more worked up than fraudulent or misrepresented cars. I would hope that in this case that he restrain himself and NOT get personally involved, it's not his fight. But I totally understand where he's coming from.

As to Worman and the Daytona, after all the grief he got over the Phantom 'Cuda, did anyone really expect him to stick his neck out again with this project?

Last edited:
Last night on GYC Warman pretty much proved that a high value car had the rad (core) support and firewall replaced onto a different body.

He even referred to it as a rebody. But the owner wanted to move forward knowing it was not a true car, so he did.

Is Warman in trouble????

No. Worman does not own the car.

As long as the owner has the bill of sale and the correct registration transferring ownership, I don't think any Motor vehicle Registration Dept. is going to check production or sequence numbers on the Rad core or the trunk rail. I've seen AMD totally restore cars including rad supports, trunk rails and gutters without transferring sequence or production numbers .

If the paperwork matches the dash vin and the tag hasnt been tampered with, the owner is good to go.

As long as he doesn't try to pass it off as an original car to the next buyer, no harm no foul.

"Teds" '69 Daytona was rebuilt from nothing but the piece of the dash frame with VIN and AMD metal.. on camera, full disclosure in public and nobody arrested or charged anyone. Some of this madness just needs to be put to bed for good...

Hey dadsbee,

Is this the car you are referring to? I'm not disagreeing with you as some of the dialogue on this topic has been a little harsh. Rebodies are fine in my book as long as they are not being represented as the real thing. I actually think some of the Tribute cars and rebodies are better as more options such as power windows, air, am/fm stereo, updated guages, interiors, and engine / suspension components are usually installed. Look at the prices at the auctions for tribute cars!

Cheers!!

Gallery: Stephens Performance '69 Daytona Brought Back to Life - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

-
Back