Industrial slant six timing.

-

shotgunvic64

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a difference between regular slant and industrial slant timing? My industrial slant starts fine, with a few steps of the gas pedal, and starts up right away when the engine has already been warmed. However, I feel like the timing could be better because the alternator gauge reads discharging, the car rumbles a bit. I'm probably just trying to be a perfectionist but whatever. Also, I have the distributor on to where the mounting bolt is at the farthest top position. I've noticed other slants having it midway to very bottom position. :coffee2:

I don't think it's necessarily what type engine it is but rather what you are doing with it that should necessitate where the timing is set Although it may have a different timing setting, treat it like a car or truck slant. I would give it enough to ping under light load and back off till it quits and then lock her down.

Also note that there is additional timing adjustment underneath the distributor on a slant. A lot of people aren't aware of it.

Sounds like you have a short take off the positive cable while car is running if it dies you have you short or bad volt reg or alt

Timing has zero to do with the charging stystem, unless the idle is so low that the alt can't keep up with the load that is on the electrical system at the time.
The "alternator guage" goes up when rpm's are higher?

^^^ Yes, the older alternators in particular will shows discharge at low idle but they all will to some degree. This is normal if it picks up and shows charge at higher RPM's. (If you really have to rev it to see charging, then perhaps a couple of diodes are blown, but I would not go on about that based simply on showing discharge at low idle.)

The other bolt under the distributor is under the opposite side from the regular hold-down bolt; just pop out the distributor and it will be obvious.

I would take the time on an unknown engine to check the timing marks against true top dead center on cylinders 1 & 6. Not all that hard...

Got any idea how many hours are on this engine?

-
Back