Inertia Yoke, Good or Bad?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put out an ad on a local Facebook parts group looking for a 727 yoke because I am swapping to an A-500 trans in my 74 Duster this spring. A guy came back to me that he had one for free if I took the driveshaft from a 68 C body with it. Of course I did! When I picked it up, I noticed this heavy ring right behind the driveshaft yoke. In my first google search, the photo below showed up thanks to Extreme Mopars.Com. It calls it an inertia yoke and that makes sense to me.

My question is, if I get this driveshaft shortened to work in my Duster with an A-500, is there any downside, or upside for that matter with using this type of yoke? I figure I might as well shorten this driveshaft that I will almost definitely never have any use for and keep my Small block, 904, 8-1/4 driveshaft up in the rafters for future use.

Any thoughts or opinions out there?

Cley
68Dodge-Driveshaft.png

I had a 69 Charger that came with the same type driveshaft. Charger is long gone but still have the driveshaft. Someone in the know should be answer your question - and I can learn something new today (or tomorrow or when someone who knows answers)!

It's a harmonic damper for the driveshaft, thats all. IIRC it's not rubber to the yoke, if it is, then it's the same principle as a 2 piece driveshaft that is telescopic and bonded with rubber between the 2 shells. Probably not a HP part

Thanks Kim! I do have 1 now. Do you have any idea about that weight on the yoke!

Cley

Like mentioned it's just a dampener (solid not like a harmonic dampener for the front of the engine) and it could stay or go either one.
Having the shaft shortened would be a great time to put on the normal style though.

Where is the weight? Also I think the splines are on a different angle for the 500 versus the 727. Have u tried it in the o d. Kim

I haven' tried it yet but all I have read says the 727 yoke is the right one. I will try it tomorrow. I think ill leave the weighted yoke and get it shortened.
Cley

Kim,

The weight I'm talking about is the steel disc rigt behind the joke on the driveshaft. Do you see the photo I posted? Its called an inertia yoke according to the picture.

Cley

I never use them, I just go with a regular shaft. If there is a balance weight on the shaft that u r shortening move it ahead the same amount it was from the rnd

-
Back