Info on Dropped Spindles

-

GMachineDartGT

Reaction score
Played with one of the dropped spindles for the Dart last night. As the picture shows tons of bumpstop clearance which should be nice. So far I've turned the t bar adjuster bolt 8 turns and I'm still to low! Even with 18" wheels, 5.5" is the max backspace which is a bummer as I was looking to squeeze 9" rims up front. Also, my cobra caliper brackets needed a .100 thou shim which I did not like. They would probably be fine for stock type calipers though.

Attachments

• P1020832.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 464
Cool Peter! And damn.....! Wonder if Hotchkis tierods would allow my wheels to work? Having more bump travel would be awesome.

If I don't need it, I don't have it. I use the offset bushings, which do the same thing. I trust the factory arm over anything made on the aftermarket. I haven't had any problems getting the alignment specs I need, so its fine with me.

Who makes the Drop Spindles and how much of a drop do they give?? Do they make them for small and big ball joint on the uppers?

What's limiting your backspace?

Pauly right now with factory tierods and spindles on my car the tierod end is actually inside the lip of my wheel. Which is an 18x9 w/6.5 bs. Drop spindle moves the wheel up into said tierod.

Pauly right now with factory tierods and spindles on my car the tierod end is actually inside the lip of my wheel. Which is an 18x9 w/6.5 bs. Drop spindle moves the wheel up into said tierod.

OK, thanks!
i wondered because I want to go with 18's, but I'm as low as i need to be now so dropped spindles aren't in my future. Sounds like I can stick with the plan of 18's.

The whole thing is a trade off. I'd lke to have 9"s up front, but I'd rather have travel in the suspension and the right roll center. I'm anxious to drive it with the spindles installed to compare differences.

Have you altered the rear ride height at all? Just wondering if this would be a solution for me. What size tires are you running up front?

As a recap from my last two track events, I wanted to lower the rear and update the springs. I replaced the 6 leafs with Hotchkiss pieces and measured the anti squat because I run offset hangers and couldn't use the supplied pieces from Hotchkiss. This achieved exactly what I wanted, 1" drop in the rear and very close to ideal 4 degree antisquat angle.

Since the rear was lower, the front needed to be lower. Once I lowered the front to have very slight rake (1/4" difference along rocker pinchweld front to rear) the lower arms were too close to the bumpstops which are alread urethane 11/16" pieces.

In go the spindles and up go the t bars. Now the clearance is excellent, I'm 4 3/4" ground clearance at the K frame. Its 24.5" from the fender lip to the ground passing through the center of the wheel.

I have been running a 275 40 in the rear (26.7") and a 245 40 front (25.7). The 275s can rub the outer wheelhouse from the inside on extreme manuevers, plus the height differential from front to rear is not good. The answer is to drop the rear size to 255 40 (26.0) which fits nicely on the 9" rear rim.

Once the tires are on I will do a proper alignment. I'm interested in hybrid road race DOT tires anyway.

so the 245's clear up front? that helps me a bit because I plan on running 245's But I am way lower int he rear which might screw me up.

so your 24.5 inches at the front fender lip what are you on the back fender lip? I'm lowered 4.5 inches in the rear but not a finished locked number yet.

DSC01025.jpg

The front tires in this picture are the same diameter as a 245/40/18 but the car was nose high in this picture because there was no engine in the car

DSC01025.jpg

The front tires in this picture are the same diameter as a 245/40/18 but the car was nose high in this picture because there was no engine in the car
This looks real good. What are you running for components?

-
Back