Initial Torqueflite tear down findings

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
I'm new at this transmission rebuilding, but I finally have time to go through some 727's that I've had laying around for years. The history on this one is a B&M Transkit installed by a local "guru" more years ago than I can remember.

Fluid was burned when drained.
End play before disassembly was at .045
Front clutch clearance was a whopping .175 with burned/warped frictions and steels. (there were 5 frictions, I think part of the transkit)
Notice that the clutch springs were laid over, not good:

20240425_141359 (480x640).jpg

This is weird - the springs in the old Transkit are much taller than some new replacements that I have:

20240425_142134 - Copy (480x640).jpg

On to the rear clutch. Clearance measured at .048

More to come.

Jeez, what a mess.
I’m sure you’ll get er fixed up with some proper clearances, the correct high gear drum springs, amongst other things. Is this going in a street car?

I bought a B$M Transkit one time back in the eighties... I wasn't impressed with the quality & I went back to using the OE Mopar kit

Jeez, what a mess.
I’m sure you’ll get er fixed up with some proper clearances, the correct high gear drum springs, amongst other things. Is this going in a street car?

About 75% street 25% strip.

I stacked up 4 spare good steels, 4 frictions, the stock .060 snap ring and came up with .065 on the front clutch. I think I'll go with that.

I bought a B$M Transkit one time back in the eighties... I wasn't impressed with the quality & I went back to using the OE Mopar kit
This was from the 80's as well. I haven't got to the valve body yet, but I'm sure it's a dandy too!

Ok, the front frictions measured an average of .040, some cupped and burnt steels:

20240426_072505 (640x480).jpg

Lets see, 5 frictions at .060 apiece when new, lost .020 each................so .175 - .100 = .075 clearance when originally assembled.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell what lever ratio I have? The only marking is 1000022.

20240426_083430 (480x640).jpg

Well this is a disappointment. I'd like to have tried this converter for street use but the snout has a lot of wear. Too bad, because the old Fairbanks probably isn't worth getting repaired. I'll replace the pump bushing with a babbitt one:

20240426_072619 (640x480).jpg
20240426_072808 (480x640).jpg

Well this is a disappointment. I'd like to have tried this converter for street use but the snout has a lot of wear. Too bad, because the old Fairbanks probably isn't worth getting repaired. I'll replace the pump bushing with a babbitt one:

View attachment 1716242757View attachment 1716242759

That’s a shame. Converters aren’t cheap. But yes there is a lot of wear on that snout.

Do you plan to just rebuild the valve body and put it back in service?

I'll take the vb apart and see what kind of mods were done. Not sure if the separator plate was modified or the B&M came with it's own plate. I might be better off if I can scrounge up a stock valve body.

I'll take the vb apart and see what kind of mods were done. Not sure if the separator plate was modified or the B&M came with it's own plate. I might be better off if I can scrounge up a stock valve body.

Gotcha. Being that you are sticking with a shift kit valve body, I would probably go 3.8 or 4.2 second gear lever if you think you have the 5.0, coupled with a late model kickdown servo (single spring 5/8” rod), heavy duty band strut, and a solid kickdown band. Just my own personal thoughts since you do have some intention of racing. You probably already have the correct servo and possibly a solid band.

I recently had my torque convertor rebuilt and the fellow said they had problems sourcing "wide ring gear" cores. It might be worth rebuilding, or selling for a core.

Anyone know what a converter shop charges to replace a scored hub? I wonder if they make repair sleeves for them like for harmonic balancers.

Not recently, but I have had several converters repaired with a new pump drive. Used to have a problem (years ago) with the drive slot developing a crack.

Burned clutch plates: I would be checking the clutch piston seals to see if they were damaged during installation [ nicks, cuts, rolled over ]...or if they have gone hard. Gone hard could be a before or after event.

Burned clutch plates: I would be checking the clutch piston seals to see if they were damaged during installation [ nicks, cuts, rolled over ]...or if they have gone hard. Gone hard could be a before or after event.
seals were all good, but will be replaced anyway. Note that the B&M clutch springs were found to be laid over in disassembly. I'm thinking that spring pressure was next to nothing.

-
Back