Insight into Painting My 1968 Barracuda

-

Raul

Reaction score
I am getting close to putting color into my restoration and would like to know some of your thoughts/ideas. Although I'm pretty set in my choice, if you see something I don't that might be looking odd or off a bit, please give me feedback.

I decided on a candymax orange color with a pair of Black Stripes down the center of the car.
I want to stop the stripe at the hood or maybe just under the frame of the headlamp assemblies so as not to go down to the bottom of the front valance. Also at the rear of the trunk it is to stop at the top side of the trunk lid rather thn to follow all the way down the car.
I also want the factory 1969 side stripes with the 340 logo on the front fender PAINTED a glossy black instead of putting the decal on.
What do you guys think? And since the side stripes have a border around them, I was thinking of bordering the two center striped to match rather than having solid stripes.

see pics. Note: the side stripes in the pic were not put in proportionately. I am including a pic of a car with the side decals n it with the 340 logo i intend to copy and paint on. You've got to visualize the factory decal rather than take the side stripes to heart on the orange car.

cuda strpes.jpg

cuda rear str.jpg

cuda side str.jpg

frt cuds.jpg

str logo.jpg

Generally speaking, it is not common to see stripes in both places. It is usually one or the other. It is your car though. Do what YOU like.
If you are building the car to impress car show judges, the closer to stock you are, the better your chances.

Nooooooo! Those are Chevy stripes! I'd love a cuda in "Go Mango" with the lower door stripes in black

Nooooooo! Those are Chevy stripes! I'd love a cuda in "Go Mango" with the lower door stripes in black
Thanks for your response;
yeahhh, I know Chevy had their stripes bordered too and that was their thing, but do you really think Solid black stripes without the borders would look good not matching the side stripes that are bordered?...Or maybe it really doesn't matter....Hmmm

Other opinions are welcomed and sought after as well....

I think it will look bitchin the way you described it not taking the stripe all the way down through the front/rear valances. Have you considered double clearing to "bury" the painted stripes? It would also make your candy orange paint look a thousand feet deep!! Your car will look spectacular

Generally speaking, it is not common to see stripes in both places. It is usually one or the other. It is your car though. Do what YOU like.
If you are building the car to impress car show judges, the closer to stock you are, the better your chances.
I like both sets of stripes on it, but I just don't want it to either be seen as overkill by others or it not really looking good. I'm not looking to place it in car shows for judging....it's more of a pleasure car with a track or street race here and there

I think it will look bitchin the way you described it not taking the stripe all the way down through the front/rear valances. Have you considered double clearing to "bury" the painted stripes? It would also make your candy orange paint look a thousand feet deep!! Your car will look spectacular
I surely appreciate this comment... Didn't think about double clearing, but I'll surely talk to my painter about it. It would look good to have that deep effect.

Side stripes are plenty for that car. Both will be overkill--but your car your money do what you like.
Thanks for your opinion:
My son, also said the same thing....Which do you think would look best in your opinion? If I did the center stripes only, I think I'd get rid of the borders....or would it ok better with them on?

Vinyl stripes in case you decide to make changes. Options are always good to have.
Do vinyl decals come off the car easily??? That could be a good option.....Paint the center ones and decal the side stripes. If I end up not liking it because it's too much, I could remove the decals. but doesn't removing decals, harm the paint underneath?

Thanks for your opinion:
My son, also said the same thing....Which do you think would look best in your opinion? If I did the center stripes only, I think I'd get rid of the borders....or would it ok better with them on?
I like the triple side stripes, since you are painting them you can make them narrow and custom, all the same color!!

Do vinyl decals come off the car easily??? That could be a good option.....Paint the center ones and decal the side stripes. If I end up not liking it because it's too much, I could remove the decals. but doesn't removing decals, harm the paint underneath?
If you remove the vinyl stripes with a heat gun or steamer (besy way) within a few days the paint should be ok. Although with fresh paint you should always allow the paint to cure and "gas" off for atleast 60 days

White Callout stripes are hard to beat. Be sure to go with Phoenix Graphics. They really are better.
Cuda 1.JPG
Cuda2.JPG

naturally, you can build your car any way you want... but you might consider that chrysler spent millions of dollars on their "final designs" for their production cars.

if your car is going to be closer to "stock", you probably want to keep "stock" stripes on it. if your car is going to be "highly modified" or a "resto-mod" car, then there is no limit on how you want to paint it.

as to "vinyl" verses "painted" stripes - both have very different looks. for production costs, all "manufactured" cars had vinyl or "tape" stripes. so if you want that "stock" look, go with vinyl. again, if you're doing a "custom" car, paint any kind of stripes you want.

here's some OEM stripe pictures...

DSC_0083.JPG

69cuda440a.jpg

68 cuda equipment 5.jpg

If you remove the vinyl stripes with a heat gun or steamer (besy way) within a few days the paint should be ok. Although with fresh paint you should always allow the paint to cure and "gas" off for atleast 60 days
What he said . Let paint cure and harden, add stripes down the road. Patience and heat will remove vinyl stripes. I am partial to the 69 side stripes myself.

Seeing as you are asking I will have to say I'm not a fan of your proposed idea. IMHO stick with a side stripe either up on the door or down low near the rocker.

Seeing as you are asking I will have to say I'm not a fan of your proposed idea. IMHO stick with a side stripe either up on the door or down low near the rocker.
I don`t think his idea looks bad, if, the stripes match and are flat black. would do vynal tape stripes tho. I don`t think the thin outline stripes look bad either, my 2002 dodge p/u has them in silver.

I thought, at first, that it would be too much, but it looks good in your renderings. As for being "chevy" stripes, i disagree. 1st Gen 'Cudas had the stripes, and so did 69 2nd gen 'Cudas, so chevy doesn't own the stripes.

I don`t think his idea looks bad, if, the stripes match and are flat black. would do vynal tape stripes tho. I don`t think the thin outline stripes look bad either, my 2002 dodge p/u has them in silver.

All right, had another look, so I do like the wide stripes on the hood when they are positioned as they are in the green 440 car and the blue car above where they go up and cover the scoops. This is cool, but stop there and don't go over the roof and trunk. Then a side stripe even in the same width might be okay if it were positioned lower on the side of the car as opposed to higher up. And if it could be tied into the hood stripe in a creative or cool way that maybe look okay.

Perhaps if the hood stripe stopped before the cowl and strobed itself towards the fender and down onto the side of the car at a bit of an angle in 14-18" wide swath (similar to a 71' and up road runner stripe on the back pillar) when it could meet a side stripe and be continued on down the side of he car to the back. I don't know if that makes any sense..?

-
Back