Installed ARP main studs and oil pan doesn't fit

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Well finished up for the night - installing ARP main studs/12pt nuts in my 67 383 block and ran into a problem. Pictured is the No.5 main cap, and rear main seal holder (both stock pieces)the stud on the far side in the pic is a good 1/4" taller

Tried swapping a stud from No.3 main same side and got the same result, evidenced by the last pic with the oil pan resting on the stud/motor

12/67 383 - I am the first to touch the rotating assembly since it was new in 67
Milodon 8qt oil pan
ARP studs w/ 12pt nuts
Stock main caps/ rear seal holder (for now - going with 440source billet holder)

I would check to see if there is any crud at the bottom of the bolt hole keeping the stud from going all the way down, measure the depth of both holes after checking and see if they are the same. May have to run a tap down it and finish the threads.
Also check to make sure the seal holder is not hitting the studs or nuts or you will wind up with a oil leak.

I would check to see if there is any crud at the bottom of the bolt hole keeping the stud from going all the way down, measure the depth of both holes after checking and see if they are the same. May have to run a tap down it and finish the threads.
Also check to make sure the seal holder is not hitting the studs or nuts or you will wind up with a oil leak.

x2 great advise .

Why are you assembling a greasy nasty engine? That is just asking for failure of bearings! Take it back apart and mix up some water and Dawn dish washing soap. Blow all oil plugs and freeze plugs. Get long bottle brushes and a set of taps and clean bolt holes. There is no excuse to build a dirty engine on a stand. Be sure to blow with compressed air to dry and oil cylinder bores to keep from rusting.

Why are you assembling a greasy nasty engine? That is just asking for failure of bearings! Take it back apart and mix up some water and Dawn dish washing soap. Blow all oil plugs and freeze plugs. Get long bottle brushes and a set of taps and clean bolt holes. There is no excuse to build a dirty engine on a stand. Be sure to blow with compressed air to dry and oil cylinder bores to keep from rusting.
Threads for the main caps were chased/cleaned

I am installing the studs for machining, it's getting dropped off at my machinist next weekend and just trying to help offset the cost by doing what I feel is the easy stuff.

Normally I wouldn't worry about the line bore but I'm boosting this engine so I'm not skipping any steps..

Seal holder doesn't hit (that's why they're 12pt nuts..)

I plan to pull every stud out and measure them, and run the 2 shortest in the No.5 main - unless like said the threads weren't finished BUT the studs bottom out in the block as in stop turning from the short threads on the stud - not a block issue

If you have the depth you'll may need a bottoming tap to finish the job. A standard plug or tapered tap may not get you there.

Attachments

• taps.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 132
If you have the depth you'll may need a bottoming tap to finish the job. A standard plug or tapered tap may not get you there.
This - don't have a bottom tap or even a tap handle to fit in the area..

OK I ran a tap, not thread chaser like first time, in all the holes, cleaned all of them twice using brake cleaner as well, got crap out of them, problem stud is still not seating in the block, guess a 1/16" higher than the stud next to it.. I don't have a tap holder that is able to fit in the area so my machinist will have to tap it a bit deeper..

Luckily this is pre machine work and not post.. or I'd be ANGRY as my machinist is a 4 hour one way trip

Try several 12-point sockets on that tap. I'll bet you'll find one that will fit it well enough to turn it with a ratchet.

Try several 12-point sockets on that tap. I'll bet you'll find one that will fit it well enough to turn it with a ratchet.
That's what I was using LOL the socket skips on the tap when bottomed out.

Like said I need a bottom tap, my Machinist will be doing the work as I don't have one, not buying one. Thanks guys for the help!

-
Back