Installing doors

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the best / correct way to install doors.. I had my hinges rebuilt and I'm ready to hang 'em... but want to do it right.
Some help and advice would be much appreciated..!
72 Demon

I ended up using a floor jack with a 2x4 to prevent damaging paint on the bottom of the door while attaching everything and definitely required (for me) an extra set of hands.

most anything to balance with a 2 x 6 on top but under the door. It's a real camel race for sure. Once lined
up drill two 1/8" holes on both sides of each hinge. This will allow you to remove and replace in the future
fairly accurately using a 3" finishing nail in each hole to realign when re installing.

Two man job, Here you go...
It should have been with your reciept when I sent your rebuilt hinges back to you.
Thank you for your business.
Leo

Attachments

• DOOR REMOVAL AND INSTALL PROCEDURE.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 81
  • abody1hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • abody2hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Two man job, Here you go...
It should have been with your reciept when I sent your rebuilt hinges back to you.
Thank you for your business.
Leo
To install the upper hinge, aren't there 2 hinge bolts that you access from inside the cabin..?

Yes. Those bolts have the small washers. The outer bolts have the large washers where the hinge holes are square. This is to cover the weatherstrip material the factory installe to weatherproof the interior of the car. It can be a dab of spray foam or seam ealer.
Attach the hinges to the body first. Behind the kick panels.
Then attach the doors to the hinges.
Did you paint the hinges yet ?

Last edited:
I did paint them.
The top ones can't be accessed with the dash in place, can they..? Looks like the dash would prevent getting those two bolts.

Get some pool noodles and slit it on one side. Slide them around the edges of the door to protect things. Get the hinges started with the door slightly out and then adjust from there.

And definitely have a helper. It's too cumbersome unless if you have a jig to hold it. I have done it by myself with cherry picker, but it's very slow.

Get some pool noodles and slit it on one side. Slide them around the edges of the door to protect things. Get the hinges started with the door slightly out and then adjust from there.

And definitely have a helper. It's too cumbersome unless if you have a jig to hold it. I have done it by myself with cherry picker, but it's very slow.
Dude, that avatar pic is whacked! :)

What is the best / correct way to install doors.. I had my hinges rebuilt and I'm ready to hang 'em... but want to do it right.
Attach PhotosSome help and advice would be much appreciated..!
72 Demon
I did my '70 E-Body doors by myself. The best tip I got was to align the back of the door edge with the quarter panel and paralel to the bottom sill. Then align the fenders to the leading door edge and adjust the fenders to the hood ( some fine adjustment to the leading door edge may be needed, but don't alter the rear door to quarter panel alignment)

It took me about 40 hours to get everything as close as I could.

IMG_0059~2.jpg

-
Back