Instrument Cluster Restore for my 71 Duster

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha! I've been slowly restoring the dash I got off of a FABO Member.
Here's the link.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44837

Thats where it all began...

deconstruction!

Unrestored Front complete.jpg

Unrestored complete backside.jpg

Unrestored Speedo and housing.jpg

Unrestored speedo.jpg

Unrestored Small guages .jpg

Unrestored Gauge faceplate.jpg

Housing Unrestored.jpg

Here is the housing after I got it powder coated ....Sorry Leanna! I found a guy locally that can do it...got to support the local economy!

Housing Unrestored.jpg

Powder coated housing.jpg

Front of faceplate restored by Auto instruments.

before and after of small gauge area...

Restore faceplate 01-23-09 (35).jpg

Closeup unrestored Faceplate light side.jpg

Restore faceplate small gauge side closeup 01-23-09 (28).jpg

front back restored and unrestored.

closeup of rear housing...

I got a better nut for the five volt (yellow) wire and transfered the old nut to the post without.

used pastortom1's help on the cleaning of the circuit board...Mahalo!

Unrestored complete backside.jpg

Housing and circuit board 1.jpg

Restore wiper side BACK 01-23-09 (2).jpg

Dash Restore headlight side 01-23-09 (5).jpg

DEMONIVR from REDFISH

Before and after for comparing!

Hope ya like...took from September till yesterday to complete....just got to install it now..

New headlight switch, instrument bulbs, voltage regulator, rebuilt and calibrated gauges...hope its a plug and play! I'll use the knobs from the existing dash to complete it.

And the best part...the car will only have 1.2 miles. its BRAND NEW!!!
Top that! Whom else has a 71 Duster with 1.2 miles! LOL:cheers:

Closeup DEMONIVR.jpg

Unrestored Front complete.jpg

front Restore COMPLETE 01-23-09 (15).jpg

Hey, that's okay Mike ... I still appreciate your business last year. Every little bit gets me one step closer to that big oven I need to be able to do dash frames, k-members, leaf springs and other large parts. (In fact, it shouldn't be too long now wooooooooooo!)

Congrats on a job VERY well done!

Hey, that's okay Mike ... I still appreciate your business last year. Every little bit gets me one step closer to that big oven I need to be able to do dash frames, k-members, leaf springs and other large parts. (In fact, it shouldn't be too long now wooooooooooo!)

Congrats on a job VERY well done!

Thanks! I bet you can't wait to get the new oven...that will mean more work!:cheers:

I couldn't go wrong with the local powder coater..I walked in the shop and asked for them to sand blast it as I was going to paint it Chrysler blue....the guy said well our minimum is $40...I said dang it just a little ole piece..."well it would be the same price if I powder coat it"...Ok sounds better...and they did it in a day! (i guess they were already coating something in the same color) That was a shock...I thought it would be at least a week.

Aloha!

looks great! did autoinsturments repaint the woodgrain or is is a decal? looks real good. not many redo this type of cluster. i plan to do mine at the end of this year....

Wow! Mike that cluster looks great! I am very happy to see that you restored and made nice use of the cluster I sold you last year! It is nice to see that the parts I sell to fund my hobby are being brought back to life and being reused!

Thanks,
Joe

looks great! did autoinsturments repaint the woodgrain or is is a decal? looks real good. not many redo this type of cluster. i plan to do mine at the end of this year....

no decal they painted it...I tried the decal route..looks terrible IMO...they are glossy and it shows the imperfection of the panel...yuck!

its not perfect...it very good though...I cleaned up a little of the black over spray on the chrome...fingernail took of the black...other than that its nice..

They do plastic repair...but best bet..start with a really nice shape dash...makes the restore faster and easier for them...

Joe...thanks for the good dash!!!:cheers:

Looks great !
Before you install it I must point out an issue...
Please loosen the DeMonIVR mounting screw and turn it 90 degrees so its hot spot hangs down and away from that fresh blue paint. Otherwise you may smell the paint. You will have to guide it into the dash since it hangs down a little.
Those who have been into their rallye panels that have the voltage limiter inside the fuel gauge would notice a heatsink of sorts on the back of that gauge. The white inside was left unpainted where that fuel gauge mounts for the same reason.

I noticed you also painted the inside of the housing blue. Their are very few illumination bulbs in these panels and those have blue tint difusers over them. The factory white paint served to reflect and spread the light. Some bezels have small areas painted flat black the prevent glare on lenses too. I dont know from experience that you wont be happy with your gauge lighting results but I do know the factory never wasted a drop of paint anywhere.
They had a reason for painting the insides white. Cheers

That looks great. I'm glad to see a post on this. I'm want the exact same thing done to my cluster except the powder coat. If you don't mind...what was the price from autoinstruments out the door???

Looks great !
Before you install it I must point out an issue...
Please loosen the DeMonIVR mounting screw and turn it 90 degrees so its hot spot hangs down and away from that fresh blue paint. Otherwise you may smell the paint. You will have to guide it into the dash since it hangs down a little.
Those who have been into their rallye panels that have the voltage limiter inside the fuel gauge would notice a heatsink of sorts on the back of that gauge. The white inside was left unpainted where that fuel gauge mounts for the same reason.

Mahalo! Will do...that why I had rotated it that way so I wouldn't bump it or break it. But I will rotate it per your request/advise. Thats why I showed a close-up too...I got your input!

Aloha!

I noticed you also painted the inside of the housing blue. Their are very few illumination bulbs in these panels and those have blue tint difusers over them. The factory white paint served to reflect and spread the light. Some bezels have small areas painted flat black the prevent glare on lenses too. I dont know from experience that you wont be happy with your gauge lighting results but I do know the factory never wasted a drop of paint anywhere.
They had a reason for painting the insides white. Cheers

Mahalo. I was worried about that too...I haven't tried to light it up yet...I suppose I could test run it before the install...

heres why I thought it might be ok though...as you stated three of the bulbs (dash lights) have the "blue" lens covers. I did reinstall those.
The high beam and the turn signals have the cardboard (toilet roll) tubes for directing the light and will not be effected by the blue powdercoat. The remaining two bulbs are for the brake and oil light. They have the red lens cap/cover over them.

So I'm thinking the blue lens cover will remain factory lumens, but the reflective will be low...

any quick tips to turn on the lights? for testing..I can figure it out..just wanted a 2nd opinion!

love FABO!

Mahalo!

That looks great. I'm glad to see a post on this. I'm want the exact same thing done to my cluster except the powder coat. If you don't mind...what was the price from autoinstruments out the door???

I've got to double check...but if you go to their website the prices listed are what I paid...other than shipping to and from...

40 small gauges,
187 dash re-chrome and paint/repairs
120 speedo
40 lens polish
?? re-letter Odometer (it was yellowed)
I think I'm missing something...I'll check my receipts if you want/need exact...

Aloha

Not really. Reasons being the lights are powered through a dimmer reostat in the headlight switch. To supply a direct 12 volts on the work bench wouldn't represent how they will look inside the car.

Not really. Reasons being the lights are powered through a dimmer reostat in the headlight switch. To supply a direct 12 volts on the work bench wouldn't represent how they will look inside the car.

dang thats right...well I put new 194's for the blubs...maybe those are brighter...I guess I could also...remove the blue lens cover?

Thanks again redfish...Once I do get it installed...I will let you know how it goes.

dang thats right...well I put new 194's for the blubs...maybe those are brighter...I guess I could also...remove the blue lens cover?

Thanks again redfish...Once I do get it installed...I will let you know how it goes.

If you remove the diffusers you chance having a bulb fall out of its socket and down inside the panel.
I can suggest 2 options... either paint the inside of the gauge housing white or install a jumper on the headlight switch that bypasses the dimmer feature and provides bright as possible lighting. I do both rather than resort to white face gauges, LED bulbs, etc...
It may be just fine as it is now. Atleast your panel is easier to R&R than a rallye panel. Good luck

If you remove the diffusers you chance having a bulb fall out of its socket and down inside the panel.
I can suggest 2 options... either paint the inside of the gauge housing white or install a jumper on the headlight switch that bypasses the dimmer feature and provides bright as possible lighting. I do both rather than resort to white face gauges, LED bulbs, etc...
It may be just fine as it is now. Atleast your panel is easier to R&R than a rallye panel. Good luck

great suggestions...let me see what I can do...got her all built...time to take her apart already...start one project...discover twelve more...

I have LED bulbs in my existing dash...they are not very bright though...I don't care for white face gauges either..

I'll see if I can light them up by passing the headlights...just to get a "feel" or look see of the brightness. I'll let you know.

Also, What type of tape did you or anyone use to cover the LARGE puka (hole) on the bottom of speedo...I noticed that the factory placed masking tape...I guess they built this to allow moisture and heat to escape...but allow DUST to get in!

Aloha, Mike

-
Back