Instrument lights don't work

-

Nilsog

Reaction score
65 Dart 270.

I did a search and reviewed all the threads I could find regarding people with no instrument lights. I tried several of the remedies to no avail, even putting in a new light switch.

My problem is that the gauge backlights aren't working at all. First check was to the fuse block, the fuse looks fine. I cleaned some corrosion from the contacts and moved on. I removed the instrument cluster and checked each bulb and the contacts, everything seemed fine, although I replaced two bulbs just in case. No joy. I then put in a spare switch I had. Oddly enough, this switch caused the blinker lights and high beam light to stay on and dim with the rheostat, although the gauge lights still would not come on. I changed back to the old switch.

Currently, I have: Headlights, parking lights, brake lights, dome light, blinker indicators, high beam light indicator and oil pressure light. The only lights not working are the ones behind the gauges. There is some corrosion in the rheostat, and I've tried spinning it repeatedly and watched the dust fall out. Still no changes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also noticed there is a red wire in the fuse block that has been cut. Can anyone tell me what the wire goes to? Could that be my problem?

Red? Looks more like violet. Camera color balance? You color blind?

Here's how the dash lights work. I'll have to look up the colors and see if 65 is different

First the TAIL light circuit has to have power, IE a good fuse and good power. CHECK this by simply turning on your tail / park lights

next turn your dash dimmer to the left to get 'bright' dash lamps

Now take a test lamp or meter and check BOTH sides of the "inst" fuse which is normally the small fuse at one end of the fuse panel.

Power comes FROM the tail fuse TO the light switch, and supplies the dash light part of the switch and dimmer. Power comes OUT of the dimmer control and goes TO the inst fuse in the panel. From there, dash lamp power goes out on ORANGE wiring

Just checked the shop manual. Yes the wire coming FROM the light switch dimmer TO the fuse panel is TAN. Then, the dash lights are distributed OUT of the inst fuse on ORANGE wiring

If you do not have one, download a factory service manual free

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

And more of them here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

The cut wire is on the right side of the picture, you can see where it is cut at the bottom of the photo. It looks reddish to me.

I'll need to get a tester, my multi meter is dead apparently.

I haven't found a service manual for 65 yet, I've been referencing a 66 that I got from the page you listed. Waiting on the paper manual to come in the mail currently.

The cut wire is on the right side of the picture, you can see where it is cut at the bottom of the photo. It looks reddish to me.

I'll need to get a tester, my multi meter is dead apparently.

I haven't found a service manual for 65 yet, I've been referencing a 66 that I got from the page you listed. Waiting on the paper manual to come in the mail currently.

Check the links I posted. They are at the least, at MyMopar

that wire cut could be the orange wire supply

No, the inst. fuse is the one at the far left of the photo. That cut wire may not have anything directly to do with the fuse panel

The circled wires are orange coming OUT of the inst fuse going TO the dimmer controlled dash lights

Attachments

• fusepanel.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 275
I checked the My Mopar site, the 1966 manual is the oldest Dart manual. I already have it.

67 dart is all over it, get the meter and start isolating branches feeding the orange wire.

Got a tester today. No power at the fuse block for instrument panel. No power on the tan wire from the switch.

Looking closely at your pic, I cant see a supply wire going to that fuse location. 2 wires piggy back terminal at top are line out. You should have a wire at bottom line in.

Got a tester today. No power at the fuse block for instrument panel. No power on the tan wire from the switch.

Did you......................

The tail light circuit has to work

The light switch must be "on" either park or head

The dimmer control must be rotated to the left "brighter"

to get power on the tan line

Every tail light works. The switch is on, rotated fully to the left.

Problem solved. I removed the switch and cleaned all the contacts with sandpaper, including the rheostat. Now I have dash lights. Thanks everyone.

-
Back