Insult or is it just me

-
Anything you get, over the price of scrape is salesmanship!

Either price it a liitle over your bottom dollar,..... or price it for what you want, think is fair, or the wife demands, and state price is firm and stick if you like.....
Some people will not BUY anything unless they can haggle you down.

I always counter with a low ball offer with a number higher than what its' listed for. If offered 14K Id counter with 22K. Play his game
At which point i would walk away
If your not willing to entertain offers, put it on consignment somewhere

I always counter with a low ball offer with a number higher than what its' listed for. If offered 14K Id counter with 22K. Play his game
I guess I`m diff., I post a decent fair price, and do not come down. I`m usually losing money anyway.

hell i always offer less then asking price.. will hardly ever pay asking price either...

when i sell i always advertise for more then i want too because i know someone will want to talk me down..

pretty simple concept so i thought...

I think in the end, the car is worth the sum of what its composed of, I dont think a 340 clone should pull the same $$$ as a H code car for example. A factory High performance car with most of its drivetrain intact, numbers matching etc. will pull in the highest price, or at least it should traditionally. I know a guy who bought a clone car 70 Swinger for 15 K and wants to flip it, hes buying things like door panels etc to fix it up. that stuff adds up, and the car is probably only going to pull in 15-17 K, you start spending a grand on interior panels, you are eating up the profit.

I use this site to value my Duster, it has been in the family since 1978 when purchased from the original owner by my brother and registered to my mother, it had just under 19000 miles back then, it has 26K on it now. It's only real demerit is it is not the original factory color and the non factory hood scoop that the original owner installed.

1972 Plymouth Duster 2 Door Sport Coupe (340) Values

I have sold many cars... I have yet to see a seller go down from an offer. So if they offered you 14k on a 20k car they knew it would not be below 14k and was hoping a for a good counter offer. If they would have said 19k yall would not have sold it for 18k. It is just the game that has to be played. Unfortunately.

I just want to one time tell the buyer I feel my price is fair or even more than fair, if not KISS MY REBEL *** ON THE WAY OUT!!!!!!!! LOL

I sold a 3 horse slant gooseneck last week. Guy comes to look at it, wants it, we agree on price, NO I didn't budge on my "asking" price as I know my trailers and it was a good deal, or bargain here in Tx. He has to go to banker for the $, Comes back next day to pick it up, banker gives is $300 less than what he needed. Wife knows him and family, I asked if he could pay the remaining $300 in 30 days and I will hold the title , and he can take the trailer on with him..... He returned few days later with the balance. Everyone seemed happy. I prefer happy endings for everyone.

I have a real soft spot for the '69 Valiant. I think if your friend got 18k for it, no matter how nice, he should feel Very Lucky.

I have a real soft spot for the '69 Valiant. I think if your friend got 18k for it, no matter how nice, he should feel Very Lucky.

69 valiant is the best looking grille they ever put in an A body

EVER

..and ya wanna know what I hate? non Mopar guys buying these cars to flip with exorbitant prices tacked on, oh and black painted engine bays :)

IMO 18 grand was a fair price.....:thumbsup: Seller had tons more then that into it for sure.......

IMO 18 grand was a fair price.....:thumbsup: Seller had tons more then that into it for sure.......

In a perfect world, we would buy a good project, restore it back to all its glory, and later if we sell it, and never loss a dime. How many mopar guys can do that with any model?? even if we do ALL our own work and it is flawless!???? Maybe if we found a solid complete 68-70 charger rt roller, got it for under $5 K, did all our own work, already had a good 440 core, and dana in the shed!!! we could make a profit if we did the resto ourselves, found a buyer to GIVE that $35,000. BUT not talking basic A body here.... ( I know, we saw one sell at BJ for $50000!) lol
I met a retired chevy guy today, he and his brother just sold their old mother's home,... he just paid $33,000 or was it 35 for a fully restored '55 SB chevy off fee bay, and is brother bought a 57 restored chevy for $41,000. I am no expert on these cars, but I bet the cost of a good project of those species might be around $5000-8000 ???? It costs no more for body work for one model than another, yes sheet metal is cheaper for GM no doubt. These tri five have lots of bright work that adds up and I have known those guys to spend around $5000 for custom interior ( back in cheaper its maybe Mo). Cheaper to build drivetrain in chevy no doubt, so maybe the guy that can build a tri 5 and PAY to have it done makes a profit. I hope so.
But the guy paying someone to build a Mopar A body, why should he expect not to lose if he sells!?????

Sorry to get off thread, but I tend to giggle when people whine because they sold their A body hobby car at a loss. Especially if they paid too much for a rusty turd project and paid for sooooo much work! LOL

When i want to sell, i list bottom dollar firm. Lowball offers not accepted.
Its what i want, thats it.

Just had an offer on a 3/4 ton
Guy wanted a dana 60 front that it didnt have.
So he lowballed me. I’m not selling it for a loss

If you want to stop the BS, tell them you already had an offer for $x. That way they know they have to beat that offer to make the purchase. Saves a bunch of time.

Yeah, the guy my friend bought it from said he had about 40k in it .. My friend bought it for half that when the guy was asking 23k. My buddy was OK with the sale price, and never expect his asking price. Its not a question of negotiating that bothers me, its usually part of buying or selling most cars. The thing that got me was the low ball shot so soon after being posted. Guess we all have different views of how to negotiating.

First off I am not putting down the Valiant... So with that said... You can put 100k in a 10k car and not get close to what you have in it. If you are buying old cars to flip and sale then you make money when you buy it.. Not after you sink a ton of money into it. Just remember what a person builds to thier taste most likely will not be 100% the buyers taste. If the seller is not willing to negotiate then their is that thing called the Internet and I will spend my money else where. I will have to change anything to meet my taste so no big deal.

If a person expects to play with these old Mopars, and turn any type profit, then buy a project where it can be sold and make a reasonable profit, or get it running and sell it ( best way), or sell it and get paid to do work/resto this car. ( you are earning all your $$ !!).... or buy a parts car and sell off parts.....tons of work for little $$ return ......

Every time you spend a $ on these old cars, ask yourself if you would ever get it back if you sell. You can paint it a color the buyer hates, or, you changed the color, he hates yo did that, he wonder "what" is under that paint..... nit pic every thing imaginable,,,, ie wrong size/ brand rims/tires, exhaust /muffler, blah, blah, blah.... To enjoy the hobby, you need to personally be good with the idea these $$ may not return!!

It is called a hobby for a good reason!!

-
Back