intake exhaust cross over ports

-

ram45red

Reaction score
I need to replace intake gaskets on a 71 360 j headed 318 using a Eldebrock Performer intake manifold. do I use felpro fel-1213 which blocks exhaust cross over ports or felpro ms90109 which leaves ports open. This is a daily driver mild built 73 Dodge Dart. Intake is leaking at cross over ports and seem to have excess heat under hood.Is extra heat coming from leaking ports? Car does not over heat just hot under hood.

If you want to run an egr valve you would need that cross flow to it. if no egr valve , blocking all this off is the best plan.

Then again... The performance minded will often install a X or H pipe in the exhaust system to equalize the left right pressures.
The cross over in the intake does about the same thing. Difference is in location.
The exhaust heat under the carb will help boil fuel in the bowl.
In the end, who knows what is best ?

Like listed in first thrend car is a 73 Dodge Dart 71 j headed 318 using a eldebrock performer intake. Car has a x-pipe in exhaust system.

Like listed in first thrend car is a 73 Dodge Dart 71 j headed 318 using a eldebrock performer intake. Car has a x-pipe in exhaust system.

Where you live I would go ahead and block it off.
The ethanol in the fuel these days boils in the carb really easy causing crappy rich starts as it is, and the crossover will just make it worse.

I left mine open and I really sorry I did.
They will get blocked next time the intake is off.

The exhaust crossover in the intake was there to help warm up the intake manifold for better cold weather driveability & help prevent carb icing. It had nothing to do with balancing exhaust pulses like an H or X pipe does. Since most of these cars are driven in fair weather & not in the cold & wet most people block it off. Like TrailBeast said today's gas boils a lot easier & it's better not to heat the manifold up w/ the crossover.

The exhaust cross over also operates the automatic choke. This heats the choke thermostat. Without the cross over on a factory carb and intake the choke will stay on to long.

-
Back