Intake gasket reuse

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to reuse successfully? Only approx 100-150 miles. Printoseal and gasket in great shape. Pulling dual quad and reinstalling single 4bl.
Thanks
Steve

20230809_104413.jpg

20230809_104853.jpg

20230809_104902.jpg

I wouldn't because of the rtv around/in the ports, not nec, kinda defeating the "blue" seal you paid extra for, jmo.
I really prefer "Right Stuff" over the reg rtv, when needed .
I'm interested in the blue on the cam lobes, is that heat ?

Heres another pic, i think all looks good? All lifters not under load spin.
The RTV around ports on head side if gasket is acceptable as per Felpro (I think). The printoseal is for intake side.
I wouldn't because of the rtv around/in the ports, not nec, kinda defeating the "blue" seal you paid extra for, jmo.
I really prefer "Right Stuff" over the reg rtv, when needed .
I'm interested in the blue on the cam lobes, is that heat ?

20230809_125721.jpg

20230809_125729.jpg

What's the worst that could happen?

Coolant in the crank case?

I say go for it....

No just joking. Why risk it just get another set.

I believe most gaskets and sealer get crushed on install so the second might not crush the same and leak

jmo .
I've never used a sealer on any intake since I took an engine apart early in my career, and found a soggy buncha goop, that had been used to seal an intake.
My mentor explained never use silicon near fuel .
Let the gasket do it's job.
If the mating surfaces are clean and true, why use goop.
I've discovered silicon caused just about as many problems as it cures.
When those printoseal gskts came out, they were/are great, the cork end gaskets are thinner than regular, for use with aluminum manifolds, and DO work great when held in place with 3m weatherstrip adhesive, or other good contact cement.
Printoseals also trim nicely with an exacto knife for porting.
The only time I use rtv (Right Stuff now) is a pea size dab where gaskets meet. (Also oil pans).
That's it, dozens and dozens of engines, all breeds, over 50 yrs.
I warrantied all our work, if it had ever leaked, I wouldn't keep doing it.
Hope it helps, cheers .

Last edited:
Since you have it apart you should get new gaskets. Why chance another teardown if you get a leak? I have an ill-fitting intake and hated redoing the gaskets and intake. Just my opinion.

“Skim coat” only around ports or water passages. Never run beads. Only do “beads” at the head/block corners and China walls (if you don’t run the cork) When I pull intakes having used this method I see very little squeezed out beading anywhere. That includes thermostat housings and water pumps. Too many run beads. Skim coat!

I agree about a coat around the water passages, Ive had a coolant leak into oil there way back when...silicone ever since and Ive never had it happen yet.

Those gaskets still look good, dab of rtv in the corners and put it back together. Re-torque after a few heat cycles. 65'

Re-torque after a few heat cycles. 65'

That's where I've found silicon to be the curse .
Silicon depends on adhesion to seal, you go around squishing that silicon, which has a very low coefficient of friction (slips), it breaks the seal/adhesion, - fluids leak.
GM tried using GMS (orange silicon) on ALL their valve covers, trans/oil pans, manifolds, etc. back early 80's . .. mistake !
What a warranty/come-back nightmare .
RightStuff has more "body", doesn't squish, doesn't lose adhesion .
If it's regular rtv silicon, don't go snugging things up, or will very likely start to leak, if it's already seeping, it'll get worse with a snug.
Good luck
Justmyexperience .

Last edited:
Is that a 340 intake gasket on a 318? The blue camshaft is the reflection from the gasket.

Thanks all, I've started to remove it. I have another on shelf but the damn things here are around $75...
Troy, I just shelved the dual quad for now, with Moparfest coming up i wanted it reliable for 3-4 hr drive. That intake would probably be better suited for the commando.
I figured I would chk valve lash, and reset them to 0.015" intake and 0.020" ex.
The intake gasket is a felpro 1243 on a 273.
Is that a 340 intake gasket on a 318? The blue camshaft is the reflection from the gasket.
I can't believe that you are giving up on the DQ. :(

Thanks all, I've started to remove it. I have another on shelf but the damn things here are around $75...
I feel your pain Steve. The price of everything here is so much higher for us Canucks. Even if you can find stuff here in Canada it's usually based on U.S. dollars so it's an extra 25% because of our weak dollar.

I have not re-used intake gaskets on small block mopars, only big blocks. Can't say it won't work, but for the price I would just buy new.

I know reusing them when they're still in halfway decent shape isn't the popular choice, but I've been guilty of it a time or two, luckily with no adverse result.

I hate to say it but if I'm in a hurry, Amazon is best bet. I've ordered on a Friday night and got Edelbrock stuff Sunday afternoon.
Local speed shop for sale here, mostly Chevy stuff but has edelbrock pirces at old 90's prices lol.
I feel your pain Steve. The price of everything here is so much higher for us Canucks. Even if you can find stuff here in Canada it's usually based on U.S. dollars so it's an extra 25% because of our weak dollar.

I hate to say it but if I'm in a hurry, Amazon is best bet. I've ordered on a Friday night and got Edelbrock stuff Sunday afternoon.
Local speed shop for sale here, mostly Chevy stuff but has edelbrock pirces at old 90's prices lol.
Yes, I have used Amazon as well. At least with Prime you don't get gouged on shipping. All the performance shops near here have closed so that option is gone for me. Closest one is over 100 miles away.

-
Back