intake, weld or glue

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Since the cross ram small block intake is out of my price range, was thinking of modifying a single plane intake by lopping off everything up about 1 inch from the cyl head bolt flange and fabricating tubes to a plenum. Going to either two separate 4 barrels cross ram style or throttle bodies with injectors. The new adhesives have come a long way and can be ground on so might be easier than tig welding. Any thoughts? Also any one have a single plane intake with the water neck centered that they would unload cheap? center plenum does not have to be in good shape!

They don't age well and most don't tolerate heat or fuel well.

I have a Torker II that might work well for what you're doing

If tig welding area I can get to, how to seal off the area's I can't get to, with something like JB weld or some structural adhesive?

Remember the bigger the plenum the bigger the explosion when it backfires!.
It has to be strong enough to take it, That's why you see all the welded up STR tops, backfires!

If tig welding area I can get to, how to seal off the area's I can't get to, with something like JB weld or some structural adhesive?
Instead of trying to weld in areas that you can`t get to, change your plan, man.
Cut tube material flush with flange, run tube through holes and weld from the inside.
I`ve built my own custom ss headers that had to turn tight immediately out of the flanges.
All the turns were made with prebent 90-45* ells with segments out of them.
I tacked each of the 4 runs complete for mockup assembled, once proven, each were removed/welded/reassembled. Turned out not too shabby for a 1st time header build.
It helped allot that I`m in the pipe fitting trade, but headers are a whole nother animal.

Same tactics could apply for what you trying to achieve. good luck, show a pic when done.

Thanks, it sounds easy when you say it like that! If BB would be easier because of valley pan, or could do a sheet metal but with valley pan and water plenum/neck looks like your idea might be the way to go. once I get the rear pumpkin done this will be next on the list, either 2 small Holley's or FI.

Yeahhh, sheetmetal intake from scratch would probably be best here.......,brian6pac has it right.....weld some bungs in the plenum for blow-off valves......

-
Back