Interchangable frame rails

-

cdnAbody

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am starting a basket case '68 Barracuda fastback resto. The rails are rotten, especially the front ones. I have been told that any A-Body from 67-74 had the same rails. Then I have also been told some are different lengths. I am looking at a 73 Scamp to steal parts from and I am wondering if anyone knows, are the front rails the same as my barracuda's? Could the floor pans also be used? same with torsion boxes?

Thanks

The frame rails have the same dimensions front and rear, the lengths are the same from 67-76 for all A-bodies.

The problem that comes up is the shock mounted bumpers, because the captured nuts in the frame rails are in different spots for mounting the bumpers on cars that had shock mounted bumpers. The standard bumper brackets used two captured nuts, the shock mount brackets only use one, and the location isn't the same. The rails have the same dimensions, but on the '74 and up rails you have to add the provisions to mount the earlier bumper brackets. '74 was a mixed year, some of the front rails will work and some will need the nuts added, the factory started with just the shock mount holes, then actually included provisions for both styles of bumper until the end of '74. My '74 Duster actually has captured nuts for both the standard and shock mount brackets. In the back everything in '74 had shock mounts.

Fortunately with a '73 donor the bumper mounts should be the same as your earlier ones, front and rear.

Floor pans will be different in the rear footwell area because the Scamp should be a 111" wheelbase car, your Barracuda is a 108". The front part of the pan should be the same, just depends on how much of the pan you need and/or how much you want to modify the donor pan.

Torsion boxes? Not sure what you mean. If you mean torque boxes, they're the same. Same for the torsion bar crossmember, if that's what you meant.

Here's pictures of the "standard" bumper bracket rail and the shock mount bumper bracket rail. The "standard" rail should be 67-73, the shock mount bracket rail will be early '74 and then '75+. Mid to late '74 will have all 3 holes with captured nuts (not pictured).

Aframerails-2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back