Intercooler on an N/A engine

-

Reaction score
Just wondering if there would be any benefit to running a intercooler on a N/A engine? since you can buy them pretty cheap on ebay. I figured it wouldn't do much for 1/4 mile times but was mainly thinking to lower the intake charge temp to run higher CR. Would the intercooler cause a restriction to intake flow?

The intercooler is only used to counter the additional heat that forced induction adds to the intake charge. The forced induction doesn't care about restrictions - the air's going through it whether it's easy or hard to push... but naturally aspriated can be heavilly affected by them because it's pressure differential and inertia that really keeps the intake system functioning on them.

As above it will cause a huge restriction, but the more important question is...............

Since the purpose of an interCOOLER is to COOL just how are you going to COOL the air anymore than it is already?

If you are tootin' down the highway with a "perfect" cold air duct (hood scoop) ducting ambient outside air into the carb, there's no way to get the air any cooler...........unless you install a Great Big refrigeration unit.........which takes a lot more horsepower.

I think you would gain more by cooling the fuel on a N/A engine then the air.

I wasn't expecting a huge drop in temperature anyways but that makes sense if the intake charge and the air going through the fins are the same temp there would be no cooling effect. Water/methanol injection with cooling the fuel will be the better route.

I don't think water will gain you a thing........unless you are on the ragged edge for compression and low on octane. Pouring water into a cylinder is in really rough terms the same as pouring it on a bonfire.......it cools it off and puts it out.

The wouldn't be the same temp - the intercooler fins would be cooler when the air is moving over them as opposed to air being heated by going through the engine bay and then into the engine. But - not cooler enough to overcome the power loss from restriction and turbulence. You're much better to build the engine to take advantage of quench and keep as much heat in the chamber and exhaust as possible than try and cool the intake charge. Colder fuel does bring a small power increase too like RRR said.

RRR, Ahaa, the old days of racers using cool cans.Home made too,Coffee cans and a coil of copper tube,add a drain valve and fill with ice.

The intercooler is only used to counter the additional heat that forced induction adds to the intake charge. The forced induction doesn't care about restrictions - the air's going through it whether it's easy or hard to push... but naturally aspriated can be heavilly affected by them because it's pressure differential and inertia that really keeps the intake system functioning on them.

This is VERY FALSE. Reduce the restriction on a FI engine and watch what happens to your boost readings. Boost is in part a measure of resistance.

I think you would gain more by cooling the fuel on a N/A engine then the air.

Water/methanol injection with cooling the fuel will be the better route.

I don't think water will gain you a thing........unless you are on the ragged edge for compression and low on octane. Pouring water into a cylinder is in really rough terms the same as pouring it on a bonfire.......it cools it off and puts it out.

This is simply not true and water injection is actually water and methanol, half of which is a fuel. While not very common in NA engines, water/meth is very common in both gas and diesel FI engines. Diesels really capitalize on the added fuel... Simply adding a H20 meth system boosts power. The lower EGT's are an added bonus.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0906_water_methanol_injection/

Focus on building a good cold air intake system. And then take a look at where the charge picks up heat like the exhaust crossover in the intake.

Typically on a high comp NA pump gas engine, the timing must be backed off.
With WM injection raising the octane, more timing can be ran, resulting in more power.

This is simply not true and water injection is actually water and methanol, half of which is a fuel. /

I wasn't talking about the alcohol, I was referring specifically to water. As I said water is primarily used to control knock and in that way "indirectly" adds power. And water / meth is not "half fuel" it depends on what the ratio actually IS LOL

"This is VERY FALSE. Reduce the restriction on a FI engine and watch what happens to your boost readings. Boost is in part a measure of resistance. "

You missed my point which was a little abscure - sorry about that. I know about boost readings but my point was pushing the charge through a restriction and into the engine will always make more power than having the engine pull it through. In that regard boost readings and specific power numbers mean nothing. It's a simple matter of any pressure has the ability to overcome and thereby produce more power regardless of the interference whereas depending only on vacuum developed by the engine (no boost) will only reduce the power output.

The only way you might see some kid of drop would be to add in-line coolers, that are basicly just an aluminum thru tube with big fins to reduce temps. Website frozenboost.com sells them in all sizes for dirt cheap, and they would cause no restriction. The other thing you could do would be pick up a CrYo system and spray your fuel and intake lines with it, just becareful no to suck any in the intake as Co2 does not burn and will hinder any performance.

-
Back