Interior Paint Gloss Finish?

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I am doing a color change on the interior of my 71 Dart project. With respect to the painted portions of the interior sheet metal, did Ma Mopar use a gloss of semi-gloss finish on the painted pieces? I am talking about the upper portions of the doors, upper panel under rear quarter glass, trim around glass and dash frame. The original pieces are a weird yellowish tan color that is hard to tell what finish was used. I am going to black in these areas. Thanks for your help in advance guys! L8r

Jim

I have had both green and blue, IIRC they were more semi-gloss or even matte... but it's been a while

All the interior pieces you describe that i’ve seen in black have been gloss

All painted interior sheetmetal was gloss except for steering column, hash frame, and glovebox door. Those pieces were a textured semi flat paint.

Rustoleum textured black replicates the textured dash frame, column, and glovebox door sheetmetal.

I have found the best way to do that is use rustoleum semi flat as a base, then lightly fog the textured black over it until you get the desired effect.

See pic below of gage panel mounts i made from aluminum and then lightly sprayed multi coats with rustoleum textured black over a rustoleum semi flat base.

20200205_132240.jpg

20200207_125537.jpg

20200207_152205.jpg

They may have also changed the sheen over the years from a gloss to a semigloss. My 67 barracuda had gloss on everything but the dash, column, and glovebox door, ditto my sons 69 barracuda. I have seen various 70-71 darts and scamps in the boneyard that very same way. I am talking OEM finishes and not restored. The point of the textured was probably to try to keep the glare down a bit. Nice duster, but looks more like a bit of a custom with the E body console and slap stik shifter. They may have redone their metal pieces in semi gloss because that's the way they wanted it.

yep my 67 barracuda has gloss black as well

In my 72 Dart, the exposed portions of the door, the interior window trim on driver and passenger sides, the rear quarter window trim and back glass interior trim are all glossy body color. In my case, F7 Green

Looks like gloss black it is (with the noted exceptions). Thanks to all you guys for the quick responses and to moparmat2000 for the tip on the texturing technique. L8r

Jim

-
Back