Interior paint

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would love some advice from those that have painted their dash, and other interior surfaces...
I have a 72 Demon, black interior.. Dash looks flat compared to doors. What paint did you use..? Paint codes..? And, what was your prep and finish process..sandpaper grit etc.. .
I will be rattle can painting.
Thanks in advance..!

Man I think I used a rust oleum satin on the dash and a gloss on the top of the doors. Honestly it isn't a show winner but it doesn't look bad. keep in mind I used a Mcguires polish compound and wet sanded and buffed the tops of the doors. I see that some paint the dash and tops of the doors body color, I dont like that I masked right along where the door rubber goes and rattle canned the black, with the exterior color cut in.

Man I think I used a rust oleum satin on the das and a gloss on the top of the doors. Honestly it isn't a show winner but it doesn't look bad. keep in min I used a Mcguires polish compound and wet sanded and buffed the tops of the doors.
Thanks for the reply.. You have pix..?

I’ve got a buddy who used to have a Mopar restoration shop and swears by this. I just got it from Summit today. SEM metal prep. You spray it on first then hit it with the SEM color of your choice. I guess it’s like an activator or adhesion promoter. I also have Bulldog Adhesion Promoter I was going to try but can’t find the can. Both available from summit.
I can’t figure out what color I should do though. My seats and door panels are Parchment but SEM makes laughter and dark parchment. Also, the upper door panels (1973 Duster) are tan. I was going to investigate further before buying the color.

2D5C6C45-8688-4641-BE16-69215FD1B1EB.jpeg

6B929A29-FD24-4F64-9771-9AA4C9062069.jpeg
This is the blue paint I’m going to use for the 69 Valiant interior in conjunction with the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter.
I was told by the guy at Mr. Moparts that you want to use an adhesion promoter like the SEM Vinyl Prep or Bulldog before spraying the color.
Eventually I should have a good comparison between the SEM products that my buddy told me about and the Bulldog/ Mopaint products that Mr. Moparts sold me.

Last edited:
I’ve got a buddy who used to have a Mopar restoration shop and swears by this. I just got it from Summit today. SEM metal prep. You spray it on first then hit it with the SEM color of your choice. I guess it’s like an activator or adhesion promoter. I also have Bulldog Adhesion Promoter I was going to try but can’t find the can. Both available from summit.
I can’t figure out what color I should do though. My seats and door panels are Parchment but SEM makes laughter and dark parchment. Also, the upper door panels (1973 Duster) are tan. I was going to investigate further before buying the color.

View attachment 1715736556

Right on.. I'm just looking to paint all exposed metal. I'll check Summit for that paint brand though.. Thanks..!

have you considered having a paint shop mix up the interior paint code rattle can? Mine was black so thats pretty easy blck is black.

For anything vinyl or plastic its hard to beat SEM products. The most important thing is to clean everything really well. SEM sells various cleaners and preps specifically for vinyl and plastics.
For metal trim you can use regular paint but the SEM paint works good for that too and it will match the rest.

For anything vinyl or plastic its hard to beat SEM products. The most important thing is to clean everything really well. SEM sells various cleaners and preps specifically for vinyl and plastics.
For metal trim you can use regular paint but the SEM paint works good for that too and it will match the rest.
This....landau black is what I used for the dash.....among other parts like the console. I used a gloss black on the upper doors and a flat black on the lower. Came out great. Prep is everything.

here are some shots of my interior. Keep in mind its not finished, but it is rattle can satin on the dash, and gloss on the top trim of the doors etc. The purple isnt rattle can. it is enamel from Lowes, Rust oleum I beleive. I do seem to remember experimenting with the Satin, and that may be Duplicolor brand Enamel. it is dusty and needs wiped but you get the idea.

DSCN1204.JPG

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1206.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1219.JPG

have you considered having a paint shop mix up the interior paint code rattle can? Mine was black so thats pretty easy blck is black.
I have not.. Mine is black too... But is dash matte or flat or... And
here are some shots of my interior. Keep in mind its not finished, but it is rattle can satin on the dash, and gloss on the top trim of the doors etc. The purple isnt rattle can. it is enamel from Lowes, Rust oleum I beleive. I do seem to remember experimenting with the Satin, and that may be Duplicolor brand Enamel. it is dusty and needs wiped but you get the idea.

View attachment 1715736621

View attachment 1715736622

View attachment 1715736623

View attachment 1715736624

View attachment 1715736625

View attachment 1715736627

View attachment 1715736628

That all looks pretty damn good. What kind of prep did you do..?

I have not.. Mine is black too... But is dash matte or flat or... And

That all looks pretty damn good. What kind of prep did you do..?
Well, the dash was out and on the bench disassembled. I had the whole car down to metal so the doors were down to metal, epoxy primed, then primed, then paint, I let the enamel dry, then wet sanded with fine grit paper 1000, 1500 grit. and buffed the doors with mcguires compound paste. I didn't do any buffing on the dash, that was more getting it sanded smooth and getting the primer smooth. It wasn't a quick process Patience and knowing what is acceptable to you is key. No dirt in the prep work etc. Wiping things down between each coat with acetone etc.You may also have to use glazing putty on little imperfections. The tops of the doors usually have a small dent or scratch somewhere. Filler primer helps smooth things out, its a thick primer some call "high build". If you go to metal use a self etching primer, then a filler primer, then paint. You could get crazy and use gloss clear but the rust plenum gloss black dries with a gloss sheen pretty well.

Last edited:
Well, the dash was out and on the bench disassembled. I had the whole car down to metal so the doors were down to metal, epoxy primed, then primed, then paint, I let the enamel dry, then stranded and buffed the doors with mcguires compound paste. I didn't do any buffing on the dash, that was more getting it sanded smooth and getting the primer smooth. It wasn't a quick process Patience and knowing what is acceptable to you is key. No dirt in the prep work etc. Wiping things down between each coat with acetone etc.

Appreciate the tips and help.. Unfortunately my dash is staying in... I'll do the best I can that way... Worse comes to worse, I'll pull it out..

Appreciate the tips and help.. Unfortunately my dash is staying in... I'll do the best I can that way... Worse comes to worse, I'll pull it out..
Yes, you could mask it off. Key is patience. I wanted to add I let the gloss enalel dry and cure at least 24 hours before wet sand and buff.

For rattlecan semi-flat black paint, it's hard to beat SEM trim black. That's all I use on dash frames and steering columns. It dries quickly and very hard. I recently used it on my 66 dash (photo below). I did the dash and column in my 68 about 6-7 years ago and it still looks like the day I sprayed it.

upload_2021-5-12_18-43-6.png

Looks good! I do remember trying at least two semi gloss paints,for some reason I wasnt happy with the first. I just dont remember which one i chose it was either rust Oleum or Dupilcolor :) The SEM I didnt even think of I could have picked some up, I have an Eastwood store 40 minutes away i can run there any time or order on line.

-
Back