Interior rain seal question

-

dukes69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Quick question about the plactic that goes under the door panels (i.e. rain splash shileds):
1) What is a suitable replacement? 4 mil plactic sheet?
2) Where can I get the flexible caulk/sealer that sticks them to the body?

I don't see why the plastic sheet wouldn't work. For the caulking you can find it at an automotive paint supply house, or get a tube of silicon caulk from your local hardware.
C

About the sealant...
There is some stuff used in later models thats great. I discovered it in late 80s Honda. Its a beige color similar litium grease. It has a string in it so it may come on a roll. I'll hunt down a source for it myself when the "need it" time comes. It is afterall a moisture bearier to save the interior door panels .
Remember to cut the plastic long enough to reach into the slot at bottom of door like factory did or the water will run down the inside of painted kick plate area.

I make my own plastic shields from clear plastic, use fairly heavy gauge material. Last set I made were from left over shipping plastic from some mattresses we bought. Stuff was nice and heavy. Use your door trim panels as a guide, trace around them on the plastic, then cut about 1/2" smaller than the outline. Check the new pieces against the door itself as a reality check.

I like using spray adhesive, which you can buy at the hardware, duro brand or whatever. It does not really have to be a permanent bond, you can get away with just about anything as long as it sticks until you get the door panels installed. Do tuck the bottom edge inside the door as recommended above.

Have at it !

Well i searched around and came up with NORTON 82761 Gray caulk strip (about $9 for 2 lb box) which is what I believe was in there in the first place. I am going to pick up a box of it later today. As far as plactic I bought a roll of 4 mil plastic from Home Depot and it is really close in thickness to the original. I do have the bag my headliner came in which is close to the matress wrapper (just too small). If anybody else has anything else let me know. I have found that the little things in a "restoration" are the hardest things to come by, i'm sure you all know the pain

Well I got the platic in using the NORTON strip caulk and it looks and feels just like factory stuff, plus you get a LOT of strip caulk for $8 plus it is continuously tacky so you can remove and replace the plactic if needed

-
Back