Intermediate shaft question..

-

Icetech

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Soo. i'm getting closer to putting my motor together and have a few parts to still get.. one is the oil pump shaft, according to howards i need a bronze or steel, was just curious if you guys have a particular brand that is better than others or something to to not get due to known issues? don't want to waste money or get bad stuffs :)

Thanks guys

Are you running a solid roller camshaft?

Are you running a solid roller camshaft?
sorry.. shoulda said. it's a hydraulic roller, i talked to howards, they had me send the serial # to them to confirm that it needs steel or bronze.. also a HV pump which some people say is a mistake but i have always used a HV without issue on big blocks.. sooo..

sorry.. shoulda said. it's a hydraulic roller, i talked to howards, they had me send the serial # to them to confirm that it needs steel or bronze.. also a HV pump which some people say is a mistake but i have always used a HV without issue on big blocks.. sooo..
Don't forget there's also the composite gear that will work with everything.

Don't forget there's also the composite gear that will work with everything.
actually did forget about that :) Not sure how much i trust that though.. i'm sure they are fine, just seems odd for some reason

actually did forget about that :) Not sure how much i trust that though.. i'm sure they are fine, just seems odd for some reason
I would trust it more than bronze. JMO.

I believe the melonized steel is also another way to go. You might verify that, because I am not 100% sure.

will take a look around, just wanted to make sure i don't buy something that is known junk... sooo many little things to order now..
I wouldn't say bronze is junk, it just wears quickly as it's designed to do. It is the "sacrificial" gear, so to speak.

I wouldn't say bronze is junk, it just wears quickly as it's designed to do. It is the "sacrificial" gear, so to speak.
Yeah.. read that they should be pretty much replaced every year, i will probably go melonized... just rationalizing spending $200 on a damn pump shaft :)

steel or bronze ???? its usually one or the other
i believe the cam core is steel so you can use a matching gear or the softer bronze, just not a iron.... i'm not a expert though.. thus this thread :)

i believe the cam core is steel so you can use a matching gear or the softer bronze, just not a iron.... i'm not a expert though.. thus this thread :)
I would CALL Howards, give them the part number of the camshaft and see what they say.

I would CALL Howards, give them the part number of the camshaft and see what they say.

I did... Steel or bronze gear needed is what they said, i was just curious if any brands are better than others is all

I did... Steel or bronze gear needed is what they said, i was just curious if any brands are better than others is all
Gotchya. I guess if they recommended either of those then that cam is ground on a billet steel core. Being a hydraulic, it did not have to be. But it is what it is. Here is some reading on the subject.

Gotchya. I guess if they recommended either of those then that cam is ground on a billet steel core. Being a hydraulic, it did not have to be. But it is what it is. Here is some reading on the subject.
[/URL]
Thanks for the reading material Rob. Very informative. If I may ask. Have a flat tappet engine and need to buy intermediate shaft. Material makeup of gear is not posted unless it's bronze, melonized, composite, or chromoly. Am I to assume it's this one is compatible with my cam?

Mopar Oil Pump Driveshaft & Distributor Gear

Thanks for the reading material Rob. Very informative. If I may ask. Have a flat tappet engine and need to buy intermediate shaft. Material makeup of gear is not posted unless it's bronze, melonized, composite, or chromoly. Am I to assume it's this one is compatible with my cam?

Mopar Oil Pump Driveshaft & Distributor Gear
Yes, I do believe it is.

-
Back