Intermittent electrical issue, 68 fastback.

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
I am having an intermittent issue with my dash not lighting up, as well as my tail lights/license plate lights not lighting up.

My headlights DO work though, as well as my interior lights when I turn the headlight knob, and when I open the doors.
My turn signals DO work as well, but brake lights do NOT work (I will be getting the turn signal switch from /6 Dan.)

Now I know that you can't let the magic smoke out of electronics, and that's about the limit of electrical knowledge. I'll be getting a multimeter next paycheck. Can anyone help me with where to start looking to fix this?

I've downloaded the service manual and electrical diagram for 68 Plymouths.

Thanks in advance

Have you taken a good look at and cleaned the bulkhead connector on the firewall?
With all the issue's you are having I think it might not be a bad idea.

If your signals work you probably have an adjustment to make on the brake light switch, since the signals and brake lights use all the same wires to the back of the car.

If not the brake light switch, then the turn signal is most likely the culprit. Dash light might be connections on printed circuit board behind gauges. Very common.

The brake light circuit goes thru the turn signal switch.

The brake light circuit goes thru the turn signal switch.

I'm sure you know it, and that's why I said what I did.
If the signals work then the problem must be in the brake lights switch or circuit.

Dash lights can also be the headlight switch.
The Wife's 72 Dart had this problem, and I got it working on the bench but it quit working again after a couple of days.
For now I just bypassed the dimmer/switch for the dash lights and jumpered the dash lights in with the tail lights at the fuse box. (no dimmer function this way) but the dash lights work now.

It will be easy to undo when we get a new headlight switch.

take a close look at the tail lamp fuse. The fuse clips rust and loose connection. the fuse can break internally underneath its end caps too

Awesome guys, thank you for all the info and help. I'll be hitting it hard when I get home from work this afternoon.

-
Back