Is a Mongrel Jeep build thread welcome?

Mongrel Jeep build thead welcome here?

• Yes! Major hack jobs on worthless vehicles rock!

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • No, it's not an A-body, and will only be 60% Mopar.

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

A38Valiant

Collector Of Rust
Reaction score
I am NOT an AMC fan normally, and I generally don't agree with the opinion that they are "cousins". Having said that, I must confess. I'm building a 1975 Jeep DJ5 for work. For those not fluent in Jeep, a DJ is a 2 wheel drive, and this one is right hand drive (think Mail Jeep).

I bought it as a running (barely), driving (if you could call it that) basket case. Plans are to go all Mopar with as much as possible. Small block, 727, narrowed 8 3/4, Mopar wiring, gauges, heater, dealer A/C, switches, etc. Even a Mopar ashtray! And some body mods like Dodge van tail lights, Cordoba parking lights, Cordoba headlight bezels, and of course Mopar sidemarkers.

When finished, this will be used on my mail route. I drive 113 miles a day, 6 days a week, delivering the mail to 388 customers. Driving my 05 Hemi Durango from the passenger's seat is starting to give me hip and back issues, so it's time for a right hand drive.

Sooo, what's everybody's opinion on a build thread here? It's not an A-body, but it will contain some A-body parts.

Hell yes! I alaways wanted to Pro Street a D.J.,being they usually come with a Dana 44 limited slip,and room for a v8,why not?

I think this would be an interesting build, but seems to me this is a waste of some fairly heavy duty parts. Why on earth would you need a 727/ 8 3/4 in the thing, or even a V8?

Is this one of 'em that was what, an Iron Duke, 'er somthin, and a 'glide?

If you REALLY want a project, convert it to 4x4!!

The Jeep four cyl version of the 258,I believe. I used to do fleet maintence for. U.S.P.S. in the early nieties,90% of that fleet were inline sixes.After that,they went to a Grumann bodied,S 10 based chassis with a 2.5 Iron Duke/A.T. combo.(1992)

I think this would be an interesting build, but seems to me this is a waste of some fairly heavy duty parts. Why on earth would you need a 727/ 8 3/4 in the thing, or even a V8?

Is this one of 'em that was what, an Iron Duke, 'er somthin, and a 'glide?

If you REALLY want a project, convert it to 4x4!!

Because a 2wd jeep is light and could be a very fast straight line vehicle.

Is it going to be a "work" vehicle? If so I would just go 4 or 6 cyl because of the miles you put on a day. Now if you may plan on a cruise in or car show, then go all out. drive it for work then drive to some shows. Just my .02.

OH YEA .....if you are going to do this, it has got to have a V8 , nothing cooler than a mopar powered hot rodded mail jeep ! i have owned a number of jeeps as well...

Lets get the mail ran in fine fashion :cheers: and I would look at running a 904 and a 8 1/4 plenty strong :coffee2:
Less is more =D>

I like to see anybody's builds. I have a 96 cherokee and an 88 comanche so as well as my old mopars I am a jeep fan too.
I still am partial to my a body..

Heck ya, do it. We own a Jeep, too. It's a Grand Wagoneer. I named the thing after our cat. It always demands my attention and when I'm nice to it, I come away bleeding....

Post it up I only visit this site to look at car **** . I'd rather see a project of any type than read another rant ! Ha !

I have a friend that did one for his transmission shop with a Chevy motor for a parts runner and pickup work around the DC.area that thing got 26mg and run like a raped ape.and it was only a two barrel.any ways I say yes lets geter done..........Artie=D>

I think if it were for mail work I'd be looking at either the 2.5L/OD setup from a Dakota or the 4cyl Cummins Turbo deisel from a HD truck (think Cummins turbo, minus 2 cyl) which I'm told is a fairly common Jeep swap and the parts are readilly available. I think a V8 might blow the fuel allowance.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Why a smallblock? Well, with 20 318s in my garage..... Why the 727? It already has one, with the ugly AMC 258 bolt pattern and is a non slip-yoke tail. I have a rebuilt non slip-yoke small block 727 from a 75 Club cab pickup, so that's covered. Why an 8 3/4? Cause I already have a narrowed one with Moser axles that is near perfect Jeep width, with just a touch more tire room. Pictures will be coming as soon as I get this thing in the shop and get started.

Because a 2wd jeep is light and could be a very fast straight line vehicle.

I have a '69 CJ-5, 4 WD, factory V-6, (Buick design), with a heavy SM-420 swap, and at least another 100 pounds of "additionals". Weight is just over 2,600 pounds.

I have a '69 CJ-5, 4 WD, factory V-6, (Buick design), with a heavy SM-420 swap, and at least another 100 pounds of "additionals". Weight is just over 2,600 pounds.

Friend of mine used to have one. It weighed at least 1000 pounds less than my old 62 FJ-40, soft or no top, 340, A833, Jeep "straight through" transfer My recollection is that the FJ-40 was over 3800 pounds by a ways

Part of the reason is that the earlier Jeeps tended to have lighter series front/ rear axles.

We got up on "Ol Baldy" around in the N end where snow didn't melt. He could "float" right over the top of the snow I'd be back there throwin' snow all over hell trying to get through it.

He sold it to some kid, who about 2 months later was "showin off" in the city beach parking lot (asphault) and flipped it right on it's side. Got his arm out and underneath, broke his arm.

Friend of mine used to have one. It weighed at least 1000 pounds less than my old 62 FJ-40, soft or no top, 340, A833, Jeep "straight through" transfer My recollection is that the FJ-40 was over 3800 pounds by a ways

Part of the reason is that the earlier Jeeps tended to have lighter series front/ rear axles.

We got up on "Ol Baldy" around in the N end where snow didn't melt. He could "float" right over the top of the snow I'd be back there throwin' snow all over hell trying to get through it.

He sold it to some kid, who about 2 months later was "showin off" in the city beach parking lot (asphault) and flipped it right on it's side. Got his arm out and underneath, broke his arm.

My nephew runs an FJ-40, and yes it's a pork chop compared to my Jeep. It also runs circles around me in the woods. If you were after straight line performance, the ligher Jeep has got to get the nod. With no body/chassis mods, keeping it under 2,800 with a small block should be easy. For what it's worth, mine is really scary above 80 mph....

-
Back