Is anyone running V10 rods in their SBM?

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
I was rereading "how to big big inch small block mopars" last week. The guy I borrowed it from wanted it back. (Thanks Dad lol)
Anyway, it mentions the V10 conrods being made from the Magnum forgings, but machined with the C2C being just a fraction larger.
With motors running a 4" arm, the longer rod would require an even shorter piston that they all ready use.
But in a motor running a standard stroke, would not running a whisker longer rod improve the rod to stroke ratio? (Which is supposed to improve torque yeah?)
Nowdays the V10 engines are also fitted to some trucks(?), there must be a few worn out or otherwise good for parts only engines kicking around? Or do the trucks run a different engine again?
Or is there something else I'm missing as to why it isn't done? (Supporting mods aside, piston heights, rebalance etc)

Aren't those powdered metal rods like the new Hemi? Don't they have a high failure rate?

I understand what you're trying to do but it's one of those things that really isn't going to be worth it.

The benefit of a longer rod/stroke ratio can be easily offest with making more horsepower. To use V10 rods is going to probably cost you the same amount as a nice low cost performance rod once you resize them and fit new rod bolts.

edit: Sorry got cut off by my wife wanting the computer

Anyway, any engine where the benefit of the longer rod will make a difference will have a horsepower rating that exceeds the rod's capacity, or if used on a lower horsepower engine, the same horsepower benefit can be found elsewhere for lower cost.

You want a short rod for a street motor anyway.

I understand what you're trying to do but it's one of those things that really isn't going to be worth it.

The benefit of a longer rod/stroke ratio can be easily offest with making more horsepower. To use V10 rods is going to probably cost you the same amount as a nice low cost performance rod once you resize them and fit new rod bolts.

edit: Sorry got cut off by my wife wanting the computer

Anyway, any engine where the benefit of the longer rod will make a difference will have a horsepower rating that exceeds the rod's capacity, or if used on a lower horsepower engine, the same horsepower benefit can be found elsewhere for lower cost.
^ This. People too often get caught up in micro tuning. All worried about rod length, bore to stroke ratio, the latest ring gimmick, a few grams in component weight. Worry about the major players in HP production. Cubes, compression, cam, heads, intake, carb, headers, exhaust. Its about return on investment/time spent.

You have to be old school to say that statement.I agree with you 100% it is like having all the money in the world and wanting to breed two different animals.You will run out of money before it happens. A lot of things sounds good but the price you would have to pat is not worth it
^ This. People too often get caught up in micro tuning. All worried about rod length, bore to stroke ratio, the latest ring gimmick, a few grams in component weight. Worry about the major players in HP production. Cubes, compression, cam, heads, intake, carb, headers, exhaust. Its about return on investment/time spent.

The actual reason I was asking, was with the longer c2c of those rods, would help correct to dismal compression height that afflicts most "teens.
I have no idea what the market's like for those parts used, but for a "slapper" engine it might be an interesting experiment. (Unless of course rods would fetch a high price, making it a not cost effective exercise) Obviously a rebalance would be required. But that'd also be required with proper aftermarket pistons too. I'm under no illusion about the other cans of worms that would inevitably rear their head too.

The rods are .073 longer if my memory and math skills haven't left me.
O.K. , they have. I checked and it's .098. LOL
If you were around .100 in the hole , it would be the answer to a prayer.
They are forgings as I am reading it , not powdered metal.
To swap them in to improve rod ratio or dwell @ TDC might ( MIGHT ) yield a small gain.
Not enough to justify expense in my opinion.

I'm half a world away here. (Well, closer to three quarters) What kind of money would a used set of rods from a cooked up, worn out, and freeze damaged motor run into up there? If used V10 parts are worth lots still, then it'd not be worthwhile.
I often cobble things together making one out of two or three broken ones. Sometimes it works well, and other times it goes BANG!

Find a race team that runs Vipers and ask where their used stuff goes. I bet some take out stock rods to be replaced by unobtanium , and there may even be one in your time zone.

-
Back