Is judging worth the outcome

-
Speaking only for our Inland Mopars Car Club all-Mopar car and truck show, our 19th annual show is coming up on May 19th. We generally draw around 200 cars for our shows.
We give the option of either 'judged' or 'non-judged' - there is a $5 difference in the entry fee if you want your car judged.
We offer different classes (stock, modified, restified) for all Mopars (A-bodies, B-Bodies, C-Bodies, FWD, Jeep/Truck, etc.) in order to provide a spot for everybody both classic Mopar and modern Mopar.
Our judging sheet has multiple sections (interior, exterior, engine compartment, trunk, etc.) with a point value for each.
We pair two judges together for each car. Each judge does their own judging sheet, each sheet is totaled and the totals are averaged for each car. High totals win.
Also, none of our club members cars are eligible for individual awards. We've all been to those shows where only the host club members seem to walk away with the bulk of the awards.
We also welcome judges from other clubs to join in and help us judge and we make sure they are judging classes that their club members cars are not entered.

Having recently been on the show circuit I say get it judged. You may win or you may loose, but if the judging is fair and accurate you will at least know how your car looks to others in an unbiased way. I have had judges like my car and not like the car. The ones I got a chance to talk to were instructive in their comments. And if your are serious make up a "judges build book " highlighting the car.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. My intent is to see how my ride stacks up in someone else's world. I don't care about trophies or any awards. I have never had a car judged before so this process will probably be a 1 and done.
Yeah, I agree. In your case I'd probably do it just for the experience. Ya never know, you might be surprised!

Sorry but I scrolled all the way down. Wife and I went to a local 15 mi downthe road car show put on by the church there, Fund raiser. Last year there were a couple Mopars , now this year. Peoples choice. I voted for a real ice 65 more door Malibu owned by a nice ol guy my age.
Why no Mopars. People choice is generally for cars someone had or relate to, thus here in Chevy country, a Chevy!
Second IF a judge is hired for a general show, 99% of the time they are Chevy lovers. Who wins?

Take a Mopar to a Mopar show judged by honest Mopar experts, and thus reap your rewards that are due.

I also did a people's choice car show last fall.
3 classic dodges were there, and all 3 of us got top 40 plaques. Better than I expected for a show full of chevelles and camaros and out of around 170 cars. I drove 120 miles to give it to the old man that ordered my car in 1970. Yeah, he shed a tear.
20181013_150505.jpg

Looking at that I would expect good/fair judging.
I don't mind hearing others opinions. That's part of doing shows. Do I care? Sort of. I built my car for me first, but I hope people like it. If they don't, I'm not going to get upset about it. I never expected it to be an award winner. As others said, judging takes on a lot of forms. I've seen ballots by all attendees, or just the entrants. Club judges, etc... I don't think my car has any chance of ever winning at Carlisle, but I would love to see the judging sheet to see what they thought.

-
Back