Is there "a combo" to make use of Cummins turbos?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I see a fair number of Cummins pickup turbo pull offs. Don't know if they are trashed or the owner went bigger or what.

Is there an engine combo for A bodies that can make use of these? "I guess" just one is too small for anything, might work on a bone stock 318? Or a slant?

How 'bout a pair of these?

Cummings is only 360ci, one should work on a small block.

Cummings is only 360ci, one should work on a small block.

Well what I've been told is that since a Cummins makes power at a much lower RPM, the engine is not pumping as much air as a 360 at full tilt

"I ain't no expert" on turbo sizing LOL

Yeah - trying to use a diesel turbo is IMO a waste of effort. The boost curve from them is just totally wrong. You would be much better served using (2) 4 cyl turbos, or a larger single unit off a gasoline powered 6 (think like a Supra take off or some Euro car).

The first gen of Cummins Dodges in 89 maxed out around 2000 rpm... Customers would order 4.11s and I would try to get them to go with 3.55s but they wouldnt listen.

I did some math from a book on turbocharging, IIRC the compressor maps for the Holset (Cummins) HX35 turbos off those diesels work pretty well with a 318-360 SBM, at least on paper. I'm sure the turbine (exhaust) side could use some changes to work better on a gas V8 but it would still work.

Also using a smaller turbo (such as an OE <4L 6-cylinder unit) relative to engine size is bad for efficiency, creates a lot of heat and pressure in the hot side because it's basically an exhaust restriction at higher RPMs. Turbo designs have gotten a lot better at building boost quickly over the past 20 years or so.

When I played with the Ford 2.3L turbo motors from the 80's, we would use the Holset Cummings turbos and drop them on. A little soft on the bottom, but huge power mid to high rpm. I would think it would be a bit small for a V8. The Cummings is a 5.9 6cylinder motor and the Ford is a 7.3L V8 that revs to just over 3000 rpm. That 7.3 turbo may be better suited to a 360 then the Cummings, but then you could also buy 1 or 2 of these off shore units for almost what it would cost to rebuild that holset.

I have been thinking of Turbo charging my 63 Valiant just for the ease of making headers fit. Have them mount in the front and run the downpipe and exhaust where the manifolds dump and out the back. Hmmm now if I didn't have 10.1 compression already.

When I played with the Ford 2.3L turbo motors from the 80's, we would use the Holset Cummings turbos and drop them on. A little soft on the bottom, but huge power mid to high rpm. I would think it would be a bit small for a V8. The Cummings is a 5.9 6cylinder motor and the Ford is a 7.3L V8 that revs to just over 3000 rpm. That 7.3 turbo may be better suited to a 360 then the Cummings, but then you could also buy 1 or 2 of these off shore units for almost what it would cost to rebuild that holset.

As I said earlier I've been told the Cummins are way too small for a 5.2--5.9. The Cummins makes power at about 1/2 the RPM that the V8s do, so it is pumping way less volume The 7.3, I would "think" LOL

From what I’ve read, if you want to use a Cummins turbo in an old Mopar, put it on a slant. You need a bigger turbo for a V8.

However, I thought it’d be cool to run a Cummins turbo off each header and have a crossram intake setup, on turbo is run by one side of the engine and boosts one side of the engine and the other runs off and boosts the other side.

I had an intake like this in mind. :steering:

E7C99745-7888-4E7A-8080-4AC9CB5C9B18.jpeg

-
Back