Is there any hope...?

-

74.Dodge.Dart.S

Reaction score
Bought some tires and rims for a dang good deal! Went to go put them on and the back rims fit, but the front wont fit on over the hub? Is there any adapter or anything i can do? I measured the bolt pattern and they are the same but the center ring is smaller on the front tires then on the back. Is there another hub or rotor i can get to get them to fit?
Car: 74 Dodge Dart Sport
Rims: 14inch

Attachments

• 20160326_132330.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 197
I think Ima seeing two different bolt circles on those wheels.

You see those little holes for mounting the center caps? I see two different size holes. The one on the right, has the small holes, which go with the early "bullet"caps and these were found on the sbp's. The one on the left has the bigger holes for the later caps which were found on the bbp's.
Your 74 should be BBP all round, hence the problem. Small bp's cannot be made to fit, on the large hubs of the bbp's. Well, technically I suppose you could "make them fit", but I doubt successfully.
I suggest a remeasure.
I could be wrong,tho,cuz I suppose those bigger holes on the left might actually be bolt-heads.

So I've looked up how to measure them and it turns 14 inch the back are 5x4.5 and the front are 5x4... I paid $300 For tires and wheels which are really nice and look new! Is there any way to make them fit? Or am I out of luck?

Attachments

• 535314_1759351834297213_2794839040189111012_n.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 191
Yes.and yes.
But it will be a whole bunch cheaper just to buy 2 new matching bbp wheels.
Those sbp wheels should be easy to resell;they look to be in pretty nice condition. If they are straight, and easy to balance ( have your tireshop prove it when they do the change-overs), they should move fast.

Out of curiosity, what would be the other way to make them work? Because they are really like new and look really good! Also what would be a reasonable price to sell the two SBP's at?

you can always go with a set of adaptor plates. some guys on here will trash them but they held up to many a burnout from my 340.

Adapter plate will cause the wheels to stick out around 1". This is not a great idea, and I'd be willing to bet you'll have tire to fender clearance issues. Just get 2 4.5" b/c wheels.

Adapter plate will cause the wheels to stick out around 1". This is not a great idea, and I'd be willing to bet you'll have tire to fender clearance issues. Just get 2 4.5" b/c wheels.

Whats the average cost per wheel? I know I got a good deal on these ones I got because they are near perfect and the guy really wanted them gone now! I still have quite a bit of room in the fenders of my 74 dodge dart sport.

I ran those plates on a '69 cuda, a '67 cuda , and a '71 duster. yes, they do set your wheel out but that should be no problem on a dart sport. basically a duster.

Whats the average cost per wheel? I know I got a good deal on these ones I got because they are near perfect and the guy really wanted them gone now! I still have quite a bit of room in the fenders of my 74 dodge dart sport.

Wheel Vintiques 14x7 Rallyes are $105 each.

Good luck even finding a 4.50 to 4.00 wheel adapter. I'm quite sure they are not made. All these companies make adapters, but not that one: Trans-Dapt Performance Products, RT Off-Road, G2 Axle & Gear, Cal Custom, Allstar Performance, Rugged Ridge, Alloy USA. When/if you find them they will be about $100-$130/pair.

I would never install adapters on the front,which is why I didn't mention them.The extra inch of scrub radius I don't like because of how the car drives,and steers; especially with well-used steering components.
Plus the purchase of two new correct wheels, less the sale of the oem rallys, compared to the purchase of just the adapters,puts the cost nearly a wash, and the wheels can be at your doorstep in about 3 business days or less.
I have a set of adapters here, that have not been on a car since the 70's.At one time I might have considered to put them on the back of a 6-cylinder car.But nowadays,I'd have to be broke or desperate.

Looks like Ill be selling the front two wheels and then just get the right size and do things right! Thanks guys for the input and advice!

-
Back