Is there any value in a 3 speed manual trans?

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought 3 cars and about 6 truckloads of parts. I will be taking many parts to MIR swap meet in october and need to know if a 3 speed is worth hauling there. Do they have any internals that interchange with the 833?

Here's my two cents worth. If it's an A903 (top loader) it has about no value - the first gear non-synchro is a mind-numbing pain in the *** and a deal killer. If it's an A230 (side loader) it is just about bullet proof and worth a couple of Benjamins.

I don't think anything will interchange with the 4-speeds but better informed minds may weigh in on that.

It's worth something to somebody who's trying to keep their boat from going to drift while they're fishing... :poke:

If the A903 was the stock trans from a 66 Coronet, I have one and can't give it away

This one looks similar to an 833. It has a cast iron body and aluminum tail.

A230's with a 2.55 first gear may have some value to somebody restoring a Roadrunner, 340 duster/dart etc. Both A230 syncho assemblies are the same as a '70-later A833 3-4 synchronizer assembly. An A230 front bearing retainer is the same as an A833 and all are for the small bearing but could be either 4.35, 4.8 or 5.125" outside diameter depending on year and application.

If the A903 was the stock trans from a 66 Coronet, I have one and can't give it away
It was not. That's likely an A745. The A903 was the slant 6 A body only transmission, if I am not mistaken.

The A230 looks almost just like the A833, except it's a three speed. They are heavy, strong transmissions. I would venture to say every bit as strong as the A833. So yeah, they're worth "something".

Were going to try to grab two more truckloads on Wednesday. I will grab the trans and post a pic. These loads will be mostly engines and transmissions. A couple 440's, 2 383 blocks, std bore 340 block and many many heads and intakes. Its going to be a heavy load.
I did score an E body and an A body 833 the other day plus several bellhousings including a lakewood.
I guess I was hoping the tailshaft would work on an 833 so I could convert one to A body. I have a pile of B/E body 833's.

-
Back