Is There Interest For 7-1/4" Rears?

-

Old Moparz

Reaction score
Let me first say this is not a thinly disguised for sale ad, I'm just trying to find out if I should scrap something or not. I am almost done with a rear end swap in my '71 Scamp going from the original, 4" bolt pattern, 7-1/4" rear to an 8-3/4" set up. What I have leftover, is the complete rear end housing with the axles, (minus the brakes & drums) & both leaf springs. The non-sure grip rear has 2.76 gears, & over 120,000 miles & was making some noise the last few months I was driving it. The springs had been re-arched many years ago & I had a leaf added to each, but they lost their arch & left the rear of the car sitting too low.

My question is, would someone actually want these things, or should I just haul it to the scrap pile at work & be done with it?

My hoarding instincts hate to junk this stuff if someone can make use of it, but I have a difficult time thinking that anyone would. :rolleyes:

well im sure theres some one that would take it up im up to my neck in them .. but there really not worth much with what u told me its not going to be a bolt in thing its going to need took apart i say put it up for free and pick up only and see what happens but thats just me .. good luck

If it's getting noisy you might as well give it away or scrap it.

Don't scrap it.

Just put an ad out there and refresh it from time to time, Craigslist may be your best shot.

I Have had many friends from time to time just looking for a basic rear end to bolt on roller, highway cruisers or a work driver that they need a new rear for.

What I did with all my granny factory stuff from my 67 that I pulled off was got it all together and took it to a mopar junk yard and traded my stuff for some things I wanted like some big bolt pattern 14 inch steeliness, and some other things.

i gave my old one to my buddy to make a pull behind cart for his quad..... i told him a cheap utility trailer axle or something out of an old caravan would be better but he was determined to make this work....

The modified garden tractor pulling crowd is your friend. I'm not sure how much of a 7.25 these guys use, but I sell them all the time to Cub Cadet pullers. I get $40 to $50 each without the brakes. I know they dont use the ring and pinion, but do use the carrier, I think the axles (cut down), and I believe the carrier bearings. I currently have a waiting list to get them. All the 7.25s I have are promised.

Also, I just sold a leaf spring from a Volare with a broken main leaf for $10, his offer without me giving a price, to a local blacksmith. He told me the grade of steel is perfect for custom knife blades. I don't know if it is or isn't, but when a guy says "would you take $10 for that broken spring?", it's hard not to say yes!

If you have an intact 7-1/4 it's worth hanging on to for the resto guys if nothing else. A guy I know picked up a slant six car a while back and he spun a bit on ice moving it from his garage to his shop and tore the original rear end out of it. The spiders ripped out of the carrier so we hunted for a good 7-1/4 to replace it. It took us a while to find one since wrecking yards don't save 'em and most scrapped all of the cars that had 'em when scrap iron skyrocketed. He's putting the car back to original condition so he wanted the 7-1/4 and I'm sure someone else would occasionally be searching for the correct one too.

Also, I just sold a leaf spring from a Volare with a broken main leaf for $10, his offer without me giving a price, to a local blacksmith. He told me the grade of steel is perfect for custom knife blades. I don't know if it is or isn't, but when a guy says "would you take $10 for that broken spring?", it's hard not to say yes!

EVERY good Filipino souvenir bolo knife is made from an old Jeepney (jeep) leaf spring....straightened, ground and polished to a mirror. Tough as nails.

Where are you?

I'm about 60 miles north of New York City in Newburgh, NY (12550)

Thanks for all the replies. :D

I have to agree that posting it for free with pick up only is the best way to unload it. It might be worth a few bucks, but I just want it out of my way & don't mind someone getting it for free if they're willing to come get it.

Interesting about using the old springs for knife blades.

-
Back