Is this a decent deal? 8.75 rear end

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2964122687.html

Hello all....love this forum! Been scouring it daily. I'm new to mopar and recently picked up a 72 dart swinger.

I want a 8.25 or 8.75 rear end. Found this 8.75 locally on CL. It'll need modding to fit my dart. Shortened tubes and new/cut and replied axles as well as spring perches relocated. (thanks to fabo I now know all that!!)

He's only asking 100 bucks. If he still has it....couldn't resist. I'm nowhere needing it rit now so I can always wait and hope for an a body rear.

You gents think this is worth jumping on?

Regards

$100 is a deal BUT a C body axle is WIDE (63" or so) do you have a reputable drive train shop near by you? I would call and see what the cost is to have it narrowed to 55" or so that the A body axle is..

you will need to buy new perches (the MP ones are like $12.88 on Summit)
they need to be 43" center to center

if it's $600 or so to have the housing/ axles narrowed I'd just wait out for a A body one they're are always a few on here...

thats a great starting point if you have the loot to have it reworked. dont overlook the A body 8 1/4s they are still around for good prices

Now is the time to plan. Your car stock is small bolt pattern. If you upgrade to large, a early b-body might be a better choice and just relocate the spring perches. This allows you to run a more modern rim from a Mustang that has a 30mm offset. this all depends on what you plan to do with the car.

I would jump on this and coordinate with Moser Engineering. Call and get a quote on narrowing of the housing and axles (these should be the non-tapered type axles that can be re-splined).

The shipping cost is a wash when you consider the cost of building one of these from scratch; might as well go Dana 60.

I kick myself for not doing this myself (I had a C-Body complete axle at the time even, too). Brake Backing plates run $40/each, so do the math :) this is a good deal. Waiting for an a-body housing is time wasted when this is a good option.

Find a decent chassis shop in the area to shorten it. They will likely know someone that can respline the axles.

Thanks everybody for the replies. Fort Worth axle and gear is right near me, so I'll follow given advice and get a ball park estimate. It all hinges on that. I just got the car and am still stripping it down.....so I got time. Thanks again all.

It's a good starting point and the price is right as long as it's straight. It'll have big brakes and a 742 case. It costs me $250 to have a housing narrowed and axles cut and re-splined.

I have an 8.25 1973 Dart rear that has been compleatly gone through. All new bearings, seals etc. New clutch type limited slip ( detroit I think need to look ). Gears are stock. Spring purches have been moved in about .8 per side to allow for tire clearance. It is in my stock 1968 plymouth Barracuda. I didn't want to tub it so I move the springs in board as much as possible without cutting anything. Move your front spring perches and buy offset shackles and you are home. The housing has been sandblasted and black powdercoated, looks like new. I only have about 50 miles on the rear as my motor is out for replacement. I have about $ 1450.00 in the work ( done at a good local shop) would sell for $ 1200.00 or make me an offer. My car will not be needing it any time soon.

60s_Mopar_Guy said:
I have an 8.25 1973 Dart rear that has been compleatly gone through. All new bearings, seals etc. New clutch type limited slip ( detroit I think need to look ). Gears are stock. Spring purches have been moved in about .8 per side to allow for tire clearance. It is in my stock 1968 plymouth Barracuda. I didn't want to tub it so I move the springs in board as much as possible without cutting anything. Move your front spring perches and buy offset shackles and you are home. The housing has been sandblasted and black powdercoated, looks like new. I only have about 50 miles on the rear as my motor is out for replacement. I have about $ 1450.00 in the work ( done at a good local shop) would sell for $ 1200.00 or make me an offer. My car will not be needing it any time soon.

Sounds like a goods deal. However, right now I can't throw that sort of coin at a prt I won't need for a year. Still need to buy A trunk panel, all window gaskets, windshield, interior, engine, trams rebuild, etc, etc...I'm sure you see where I'm going with that. Just got other stuff I need to work through first. Otherwise, I'd be very interested. thanks!

-
Back