Is this a good 8 3/4 buy?

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
A guy on the local craigslist is selling a 8 3/4 3rd member from a (68,69,70) vintage Super Bee. He says it's posi with 2.73 gears. He doesn't know much else about it so i can't tell which casing it matches. He wants $100. Anyone think this would be a wise investment for the future? Down the road I will be going the 8 3/4 route but would like to use a 3.55 or 3.73 gearing.

Okay someone has to clear this up for me! I'm know I'm gonna feel like a turd in a punch bowl but sure grip vs posi? The two terms get thrown around so loosely its hard to keep track which is which! Open gear means one wheel wonder which means sure grip? Posi means a double peel? I would like a nice clear defintion that can be inscribed on stone. (No Laughing!)

Sure Grip is posi but in mopar terms. As gm convert boy did I hear it at first everytime I said posi instead of sure grip. And yes, $100 is a deal.

superbee with a 2.73 suregrip??? seems like a station wagon setup to me.....

lol.. yup a posi and sure grip is the same thing. just one is a GM term and the other is a mopar term

Okay someone has to clear this up for me! I'm know I'm gonna feel like a turd in a punch bowl but sure grip vs posi? The two terms get thrown around so loosely its hard to keep track which is which! Open gear means one wheel wonder which means sure grip? Posi means a double peel? I would like a nice clear defintion that can be inscribed on stone. (No Laughing!)

Sure-grip is a factory Mopar rear set up with both wheels driving the car forward.
Posi is the GM version.
Open rear gear means one wheel wonder, AKA peg-leg.

i see a 2.76 suregrip available in 1970 in a coronet wagon. no 2.73 ratio anywhere. nothing smaller than 2.76 in 1970. 68,69 both had 2.94's suregrips but nothing smaller. check it carefully as it looks like a station wagon rear....

To answer your question, yes an 8.75 suregrip center section, no matter what gears are in it for $100.00, is a good deal!

A couple years back I picked up a complete minus brakes 8.75 truck rearend with a rebuilt 742 case 3:23 clutch style suregrip for $125.00! I sold the housing and axles to a local guy for $75.00! The center section will be finding a new home in my 72 RR soon:cheers: I just picked up a rebuilt 741 case 3:55 geared Auburn style suregrip center section last year for $275.00. The 3:55 section is homeless at the moment LOL.

Joe

SO ideally i want this to fit into a 742 casing? He say's as far as he knows its 2.73 gearing but he's not positive. I just don't wanna buy it and be stuck with an undesirable hunk o metal. I'm in college, not a lot of money to play with! Living on Ramen and Milwalkee's Best at the moment just to save up for a beefier Mancini tranny!

it is a good buy for what it is. if you want to directly bolt it in an abodie it wont just bolt up without some work. the "742" thing is the case the gears are in that is all. i say if possible get pics and get someone to help you look at it to determine if it is what he claims it is. don't wait too long though...

There is a 742, 489 and 741 case for the third member. It contains the gears, yoke and sure-grip or open diff.

I don't think you would have to do anything special except maybe a bastard u-joint to bolt it in.

I got him to look into the casting numbers and I found out it's geared at 2.71 and it came from a 742. I think i'm gonna pounce on this one and keep it till the time come when the 8.25 blows.

-
Back