Is this a good idea?

-

75dart se

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I've got a 75 dart se that was purchased brand new by my grandmother. I inherited this car 6 yrs ago, did some bodywork and repainted. It's a super nice car and I never want to get rid of it. But I did some mods to the 318 and it's just not working for me. I also have a 68 383 that was in a Newport my dad owned since 1970! I drove that car for many years but eventually pulled the motor because of rust issues. Was a great engine and trans. So I'm thinking of buying a schumacher swap kit and putting the 383 in it. My dart already has 2.5 inch dual exhaust and disk brakes so I think it's a logical swap! Just want a nice driver! Kind of a sleeper. Is this swap as easy as it sounds? Can I retain my power steering?

No reason to buy Schumacher mounts for that car. Build a DC k-member. You have to cut and drill on that K-member for the Schumacher mounts, anyway.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dck.shtml

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaM_jHLi08&feature=share&list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ&index=5"]DC K-member 04 part one a.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Newport 383 is not going to have much more power than a drop in mild 360, more torque though. I would say no but I already did it too.

Well I have the 383 and would really like to make use of it, will have factory 4bbl on it also. And I know it's history.

exhaust will be your biggest hurdle. If you want to, go for it

It costs much less to go from small block to small block than it does to move up to a big block.

I would recommend a 360 also.

In this case with the parts he's already got, I could get it in and running for under $1k, well under. Cost might go up a little if the car has a 7-1/4, but that would need to be changed for a 360, too.

I like the idea myself... Driving a car around that has connections to your dad and grandmother... It will definitely be worth the cost and effort...

I have a friend with an original '73 Dart Sport 340 who swapped in a 383 just by swapping in spool mounts from a '76 Cordoba. A '75 Dart should have spool mounts as well. Go for it!

I say go for it too, A stock 383 will have more grunt then a low compression 360 of that era, If you did go with a 360, pass on the earlier LA engines, go right to a Magnum engine, higher compression, better heads, roller cam, "win-win" on that one. I ran 12.5s @ 105 with a stock bottom ended 95 360 magnum, just bolt-ons, 4.10 gears & 2800 stall shifting at 5K, On a 100 shot it ran 7.3s @ 96 in the 1/8 on a not so clean pass. My goal was getting it to 7.0s @ 100 shifting at 5K.

383s run VERY strong for there displacement, don't under-estimate there potential, A mild cam, bolt-ons, alittle gear & stall, you'll have a solid 12 second A body.

Let me add, I had a stock 74 360 Dart Sport, it was a 4sp. car, It ran pretty good, But i installed a 75 400 in a 72 Duster, it was out of a Newport, This engine was bone stock, right down to the stock 2 barrel & Exhaust manifolds, it even had single exhaust LOL, stock rearend & 12" stock converter, that car was a handful on the street with its torque, Would definitely out run my 74 360 Dart, Stock 400s had a whopping 7.8.1 compression too.

Go for it! You don't need to use the "Abody big block headers". Just use the HP manifolds - which work much easier in the low deck 383 in an A body. Yes, you can keep the power steering. Also, you can keep a column shift if you like.
This is my exact plan for my '75 Scamp as I get the bucks together. I have a 68 383 on a stand along with a 727. I already replaced the 7.25 with an 8.75 rear.

I like the idea myself... Driving a car around that has connections to your dad and grandmother... It will definitely be worth the cost and effort...

That's the thing! The Newport brought me home from the hospital when I was born,and I got my license in the dart! This is the reason I love the old mopars so much! I would like to do this once and do it right, and drive it lots. I went too far with the 318 and realized I'm beating a dead horse. I saw the 383 on the stand in the corner and figured what a great idea!

Go for it! You don't need to use the "Abody big block headers". Just use the HP manifolds - which work much easier in the low deck 383 in an A body. Yes, you can keep the power steering. Also, you can keep a column shift if you like.
This is my exact plan for my '75 Scamp as I get the bucks together. I have a 68 383 on a stand along with a 727. I already replaced the 7.25 with an 8.75 rear.

I know of a set of hp manifolds from a 68 Monaco, will these work? My car already has 2.5 inch duals with roadrunner tips and it was a nightmare to install! I will try to post a pic of my car.

-
Back