Is this an acceptable PCV alternative?

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
All;
I have seen PCV systems in the past installed as in the following diagram.
Does this work? Would not the vac created in the air cleaner pull clean air through the crankcase?
I am trying to decide which way to go with the PCV system.
If this is not acceptable, what OEM PCV should I use in a complete system with the following motor?
I cannot afford the high dollar adjustable PCV but want it to work as a system.
318+.030
Comp XE268H
Eddy Air Gap, Eddy 650
I get about 14-15" vac at idle.

PCV option #1.jpg

All;
I have seen PCV systems in the past installed as in the following diagram.
Does this work? Would not the vac created in the air cleaner pull clean air through the crankcase?
I am trying to decide which way to go with the PCV system.
If this is not acceptable, what OEM PCV should I use in a complete system with the following motor?
I cannot afford the high dollar adjustable PCV but want it to work as a system.
318+.030
Comp XE268H
Eddy Air Gap, Eddy 650
I get about 14-15" vac at idle.

View attachment 1715025499
no need to go crazy - I run a stock type on a 408 - any of these will do https://www.summitracing.com/search...2l-318/engine-family/mopar-small-block-magnum

But the suction side would be into air cleaner not into intake. This would stop that issue wouldn't it?

But the suction side would be into air cleaner not into intake. This would stop that issue wouldn't it?
nope - 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Typically the other end of the PCV hose goes just under the carb - I'm thinking if you put it up higher you'll have too little suction damn near all the time. Why are you trying to rewrite what is known and engineered to work? No port?

nope - 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Typically the other end of the PCV hose goes just under the carb - I'm thinking if you put it up higher you'll have too little suction damn near all the time. Why are you trying to rewrite what is known and engineered to work? No port?
Correct. No port. I will build one if that's what it takes. Just wanted to be sure before I did. Btw article was a good read, Thanks.
Guess I will get the pcv ordered and start building the port. I currently use a 1" carb spacer. Should be able to drill/tap and install a nipple there.?.?

I personally have never seen an edelbrock carb without a PCV valve port.

I've never been a fan of drilling into the plenum or adding a plate. Even though the leak is the same, the performance is different. Fought this on many circle track cars. It was a ***** to get them to run one, let alone make it right.

I'd rather see you invest in a carb with a port for the valve.

I personally have never seen an edelbrock carb without a PCV valve port.

I've never been a fan of drilling into the plenum or adding a plate. Even though the leak is the same, the performance is different. Fought this on many circle track cars. It was a ***** to get them to run one, let alone make it right.

I'd rather see you invest in a carb with a port for the valve.
Good to know. Thanks. I will not do that then as I am looking to cure problems not create more.

Not nearly enough vacuum up there to pull air through the crankcase effectively, except maybe some at WOT. I would expect to end up with oil up in the air cleaner... a common result of a clogged PCV with a crankcase breather connected to the air cleaner.

Not nearly enough vacuum up there to pull air through the crankcase effectively, except maybe some at WOT. I would expect to end up with oil up in the air cleaner... a common result of a clogged PCV with a crankcase breather connected to the air cleaner.
What do you suggest for a pcv valve when I go with the complete system?

-
Back