Is this considered rude?

-
I would say that asking someone how much they have invested in their car,house,land,livestock,etc.... is more rude than not giving a answer.

Did J Leno just buy a 69 M code dart if not he should ... PS GWB father trained that faceless coward ... Mr ladin ??? right ? or did the CIA who worked for GW Sr did ?

I've always found that the people that ask those types of questions do not own classic cars ( or they have a comparable hobby, i.e. aviation, motorcycles, trucks, tuners) and are just interested in what it takes to own/restore one. I think, for the most part, they are innocent questions from interested people. I respond with, 'It just depends on what you want out of your car; concours resto, custom car, race car, daily driver or just have a cool car.'

That being said, yes, under normal circumstances it is a 'no-no' to speak about someone's finances. When putting yourself out there in a show or cruise-in,though, you are acting as an ambassodor to, not only MOPARS, but the sport in general and the general public will look to you for answers to such questions.

I know it sounds corny as hell but having worked hundreds of air shows 'showing off' my planes I've learned to accept the publics ignorance, wonder and interest.

You could always be like Hemi Denny with his nice sharktooth and hang a price tag from it for $295.00. I understand people that are curious or should I say nosey..If I see something I like on another car I research it on my own, but thats me.

Who cares?! Rude vs not rude is irrelevent!

Whats the big secret? So you have X amount in the engine, so what does it matter if you tell them?!

What are they gonna do?! Get mad? Laugh?

Either way its still your kicka$$ Mopar!

a stupid thing about asking what some has cash wise into there car is that, a lot of the time its different for everything no matter how nice the build or how terrible its built. i know guys who have been building cars for years who can do a nice build a few grand because they know people who have parts or have parts from old projects to use. hell i just picked up a clean 68 dart with about 3 grand in parts for 1500 bucks, and that's only because i knew a guy. anyway i think it a pointless question

You are going to run into a lot of weird comments, deal with idiots, deal with nice people.
You just roll with the punches and read each person and answer them as you see fit which is probably what you already do now.

I have had idiots let their kids climb on my car and then look at me like I just raped their wife because I asked them not to let their kid climb up my friggin bumper.

I have had people ask " would you mind telling me how much you have invested in the build?"
In this case I will give them an honest ballpark, and they usually say it looks like I have twice that much invested.

When you take it to shows and cruises you have to remember that some of the jerks you share the road with are now walking around all,these pretty cars, and yep, things sometimes get interesting but for the most part non eventful.

Two months ago I went to a large cruise and embarrassingly, my electric fuel pump gave out on me when I went to move to another spot.
Luckily I had a spare electric pump in my trunk and a little while later I was back in business.
While I was under the car there were people snapping pictures of me laying under the car replacing my pump.
Some might think this would be considered rude but being a picture ***** myself I understand that people live to take pics of anything interesting that may occur at car shows, cruises.
i had people ask of I needed help, all mopar guys,ha,ha.
I had people walk by giving snotty looks.
Had a few chicks walk by and make some cute comments.

Different strokes.

If my wife is within ear shot when someone asks how much this or that cost, I just grin and say 'I stopped keeping track years ago' lol.. usually gets a chuckle LOL

so how much do you have invested into the car? you still never told us :D

i think its none of their damn business. ask them if their wife shaves and see how they like it. (her legs)

thats like i got a 1952 truck flat black, lowered and a chopped roof. strangers ask all the time when im gonna finish it. it is finished dickhead

yea, i think it is just a innocent question. same as when someone asks " is that car numbers matching?"
all on the same lines. i mean like, does itreally matter? well, it does if you have a for sale sign in the window, or have it listed for sale, but does not matter in normal everyday setting
i do ask people sometimes what they have into their ride. i do not think it is rude at all. i build these cars,a nd i like to see if i went over budget, or if i made out well. if i put 10k into a car, and see a comparable one that someone else put 35k into, then i feel good. or , if i am in the market for another project out of the norm, and i see one, i get a feel for what kind of investment i am looking at, to get my project to be comparable to the car i am asking about!

There is a local guy with a beautiful dart sport with about every option you can possibly think of, sunroof, vinyl top, four speed, 360, front power disc brakes, buckets, sure grip, etc.....beautiful car.
The guy sits behind the car with the most sour look on his face.
Every time I see the car I just start drueling it's that nice and I always compliment the guy on his car and not once has he ever said thanks, eff you or anything.
He just watches everyone like a hawk when they get near his car.
He won't move from his chair and just sits there as if his car is the only car there.

How fun is that?

I finally gave up trying to be nice to the prick and it's funny because I have had several buddies go look at the car at different times and they all come back with the same reaction that it is a really special car but the owner seems like a real paranoid jerk off.

There is a local guy with a beautiful dart sport with about every option you can possibly think of, sunroof, vinyl top, four speed, 360, front power disc brakes, buckets, sure grip, etc.....beautiful car.
The guy sits behind the car with the most sour look on his face.
Every time I see the car I just start drueling it's that nice and I always compliment the guy on his car and not once has he ever said thanks, eff you or anything.
He just watches everyone like a hawk when they get near his car.
He won't move from his chair and just sits there as if his car is the only car there.

How fun is that?

I finally gave up trying to be nice to the prick and it's funny because I have had several buddies go look at the car at different times and they all come back with the same reaction that it is a really special car but the owner seems like a real paranoid jerk off.

I seem to run into people like that alot LOL, and I agree, how much fun is that?? Me, I like when people talk to me, if they compliment the Dart, I thank them, I smile.. If they have questions, I answer politely.. I figure if they took the time to stop and look, I can take a second and answer a question..I built the car to enjoy.. If all I did was sat there with a scowl on my face like the dude you mentioned, my wife would kick my *** and put a for sale sign in the window of the car LMAO ...

The people that crack me up are the ones that will actualy stand right in front of your car, walk around it, and then totally in ear shot of you will start telling their buddies all thats 'wrong' with your car, what isnt right, what wouldnt have come from the factory (or what would've) blaa blaa blaa.. sometimes I just ignore them... Sometimes I remind them that my names on the title, so I can do what I please.. other times I ask that age old question.. 'wheres your car?' ... 99.9% of the time, they shut up, turn, and walk away... lol

It's kind of like everyone who says to me what year is my Harley and they have no clue. I could tell them anything and most of them would believe me.

Funny this subject was brought up again. Over the past wk I have had the pest control at my house twice. On both occassions I had the employees ask me how much money I had invested in the car. I'm guessing they are asking me b/c the car is so nice. At first they just keep saying wow, wow, that's so cool, wow, then they say, " so how much do you have invested in the car"? I always just reply with.. too much, and laugh!

ok so my gut was right, it is kinda rude... I told my wife it was rude and she said why.... I didn't answer her either b/c she doesn't know what it cost either...lol

...and that's why my answer, when my Dart is finally on the road, will be, "More than I told my wife it cost." LOL

I actually love to brag about how much I paid for something- or I should say, how LITTLE I paid for it!

Then go on to explain how the junkyards and swapmeets are full of trick stuff (if you know where to look) that can be cleaned up/rebuilt/adapted to look and work 90% as well as new stuff for 10% of the cost. Just takes a little thought, time, and effort.:glasses7:

-
Back