Is this normal?

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Well, I've been chasing an overheating issue for months now and after changing a never ending list of possible causes, I decided to pull the engine down and see what's going on inside.
Is this white build-up on the valves normal? I use 98 fuel.
I also found the block was full of crap in the water galleries that was getting trapped in my radiator.
I am also thinking another issue us that I'm using my early 383 heads on my 76 model 440 motorhome block. The head gasket doesn't match, blocking off the coolant ports on the heads.
Time to pull the motor down and get it chemically cleaned and crack tested, put the later model 440 heads on and make a new radiator. hopefully this will solve the issue.

DSC_1621.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

You definitely need a new radiator in your life.... Or get that one cleaned and tested. I am guess this was a big component of your overheating problem....

If you wanted to take up everything a notch send the Antifreeze off for some DNA test. That will tell you what has been going through your radiator..

JW

I'm guessing someone didn't use distilled water to dilute their antifreeze. Exhaust valves look to me like they were running hot.

-
Back