It Finally Runs!!!!!

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yup.... all better now. Twist the key and the sunofabitch RUNS! Pretty good no less, but not without a small dose of drama......

I swapped out the Crane roller rockers, which weren't set up properly, and installed the stock rockers and pushrods. The rollers were riding the edge of the valve stem. Not good.
SANY0033-vi.jpg

Bolted these on and I had an instant cure for my geometry issue....
SANY0060-vi.jpg

I used a vacum bleeder for the cooling system and managed to purge all the air out of the system. I hit the starter and she fired right up. Nice & quiet! Except for the light metallic nosie from the passenger side of the engine. I started with collapsed lifters...then isolated the rollers as being the next loudest noise...now this. What the Hell? So I pop off the valve cover to take a peak inside and I spot these chew marks:

SANY0067-vi.jpg

The lower edge of the rail on the valve cover was contacting the side of the valve springs!!!!!! I grabbed a half-round file and relieved the edge of the cover. I cleaned it all up and double checked the drivers side, which was good. I bolt it all together and twist the key. No noises and no overheating! Good oil pressure and NO LEAKS!!!

SANY0050-vi.jpg

So....ya wanna hear it? Then click the link! http://media.putfile.com/FINALLY

To say I'm happy is an understatement of EPIC proportions!!!!!
yahoo.gif

OUTSTANDING!!! Sounds awesome. Gives me great pleasure to hear it run. Been through what you just did. Congrats!

Got Wood?

Yeah, I'm happy. Damn thing fires right up and sounds awesome! I still have tuning to do, but I'm *this close* to bolting in the bench seat and going around the block with it.....

Maybe tomorrow night..... 8)

I think I heard that thing running all the way over here in BROOKLYN...

Hopefully the next video will involve tire smoke. 8)

CUDA 2GO go's Varoooom.:blob:\\:D/:blob6::thumbrig:
I am so happy for ya John Damned that sounds good :cheers:
6 pack to go for a six pack know :drinkers:

Congratulations Man. This sure made my day.

I still can't believe it's running and it sounds like that! Now it all should go smoothly. Next weekend I will get that headliner in! Then glass....and seats....and carpet....then we cruise. 8)

Right on John. That thing sounds beautiful.

John, great news & sounds wonderful! What are they plans for the rockers?

John, let me rephrase this. Are you going to continue to run your stamped steel rockers or are you going to try and figure out your geometry issue with your original rollers or try something new? I am not interested in the old rollers, I just wanted to know what your plans were re: what you plan to end up running.

Sorry Ben, I didn't mean to ignore your question. The stock rockers will stay in it for now. I've been told that unless I'm making big power that I'll never see a performance gain. Truthfully, all I need to do is buy shims and ANOTHER set of pushrods. I think I'll pass on it for now at least. I have too many other things to sort out right now. Maybe over the winter I'll play with the geometry.

But it runs..... :cheers:

You gonna drive that bad boy here on your next trip out?

Provided I get the headliner in and nothing else goes wrong! 8)

-
Back