it never ends

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
wtf? now my completely rebuilt 727 with tf-3 that i didnt ask to be installed wants to pull forward when i go to start it in park. definitely not neck snapping shifts, it doesnt even chirp going into second like it used to i thought the tf-3 would give me at least that. any ideas about the surge or did that shop completely hose me for 1700$

I'd have to say, from a hydraulic standpoint, it's impossible for the tranny to "surge" in reverse. When the manual valve is any where but exactly in reverse, all reverse circuits are dumped.
-I would have to say that the forward drive clutch has warped plates in it, or it was setup too tight, or for some unknown reason, is dragging mechanically.
-No chirp into 2nd, could have several reasons,not all tranny related.
1)Let's start with the non-tranny possibilities; were any changes made to the engine,or the TC, or the rear gear,or the chassis,while the tranny was out? The answers should all be NO
2)Next; are the throttle cable, and KD assy, and the shift mech.all properly adjusted? The answers should all be YES.
-If the above are true, then I would be going back to the builder for warranty.

nothing was changed, kickdown lever is wired all the way back as per transgo instructions,1st gear has more whine than before, as does 2nd

Well that answers group 1, and the TV adjustment.And, by inference, the throttle adjustment may be good. So that just leaved the sync-up between the shifter and the rooster comb. Prove that is correct and ten it's warranty time.

If the planetaries are noisier than before, and the tranny lurches on start-up, and the chirp into 2nd is lost,and the tranny is filled with the correct fluid,then, I'd have to think the shop has made a major blunder. They gave you someone elses core. not funny.
Planetaries don't go from quiet to noisy,after a rebuild. They get noisy as they wear out. It usually takes more than 150,000 to 200,000miles. Maybe more. I've got a slanty here with over 400,000 km on it and the planetaries are still quiet. That would be 240,000miles.
I highly recommend you be there when the oilpan comes off

when i first got trans back shift lever was very stiff to move, i couldnt move it to begin with, i was afraid to use too much force,trans guy drove to my house to check it out as he had also forgot to install dipstick, he just reefed on it and said its normal, just a little stiff!this is my first goround with trans shops and 727s, admittedly way out of my league..i dont even want to go back to that shop as i dont feel i will get what i want out of my trans

same trans, i dropped it off wednesday fot tdq,phoned friday after work, he hadnt looked at it yet.4 hrs later i got a message on my phone that it was completely rebuilt and ready to go out the door for 1685$, i didnt even get a chance to get a quote and decide which way to go, i wanted my trans back so i paid the man!

another mopar hack that over charged you 1000 bucks demand your money back and send it to cope or chuck Lofgren . Lofgren will build you a 600 hp 904 for 1000 bucks that's works flawlessly .

Waaaaaay overpaid!!! My trans guy does complete rebuilds for $400!!! I would never have paid him anywhere near that, especially since it sounds like you wern't informed of what was done, and it sounds like you wern't even asked what you needed from this trans to begin with!!

same trans, i dropped it off wednesday fot tdq,phoned friday after work, he hadnt looked at it yet.4 hrs later i got a message on my phone that it was completely rebuilt and ready to go out the door for 1685$, i didnt even get a chance to get a quote and decide which way to go, i wanted my trans back so i paid the man!

I had a similar experience. The guy I had do all my Auto Tranny work retired so I went with the recommendation from a friend. Got the tranny back, put it in the Dart. Shortly there after I get a call from my son. Tranny fluid all over the garage floor. Find the leak, pull the Trans. Talk to the retired guy and begged him to do the tranny. I take it over and we pull it apart, all the other guy did was clean it up, change the fluid and filter, replace front and rear seals, and adjust the bands. O rings were cracked, all parts original. I went back to the first guy, gone out of business? Just my luck. Hope your luck is better.

Had the same problem when i had a torque converter built for my car.When you first started it in park it would jump forward then it was okay after that.The stall was to big for the street so i changed the converter and the surge problem went away.It is a 727 trans in my car

just curious, what are you using to shift it?

I recently installed a ratchet shifter and after a few days it became real hard to shift
turned out I fried the cable
this made it not only hard to shift, but also inaccurate, since the inner cable didn't move the proper amount and misaligned the shifter pall on the tranny

when i first got trans back shift lever was very stiff to move, i couldnt move it to begin with, i was afraid to use too much force,trans guy drove to my house to check it out as he had also forgot to install dipstick, he just reefed on it and said its normal, just a little stiff!this is my first goround with trans shops and 727s, admittedly way out of my league..i dont even want to go back to that shop as i dont feel i will get what i want out of my trans

I'd call BS on that immediately. When I was 16, I took my old Mustag to a tranny shop for a rebuild. Got it back and it didn't shift smoothly at all. They told me it was because "the valves were so clean, it'll take a while to break in". 3 months later tranny was toast, shifter was stuck in drive an wouldn't budge. Fluid was nearly black. Shop told me TS. Being a dumb kid what did I know.

Took it into our Phillips 66 station, they pulled the tranny.....and sent it to the same guy! The 66 station wouldn't give it back to me until they were satisfied with it, said they sent it back to the tranny shop "so they'd get it right". Told him the problem I'd had with thae same shop, he eventually dumped em for crappy work.

Long story short, if the shop did it right, that rebuilt AT should work like new, none of this stiffness or stickiness crap. Plus he gave it back to you without the dipstick? :banghead:Warranty time.

I'd call BS on that immediately. When I was 16, I took my old Mustag to a tranny shop for a rebuild. Got it back and it didn't shift smoothly at all. They told me it was because "the valves were so clean, it'll take a while to break in". 3 months later tranny was toast, shifter was stuck in drive an wouldn't budge. Fluid was nearly black. Shop told me TS. Being a dumb kid what did I know.

Took it into our Phillips 66 station, they pulled the tranny.....and sent it to the same guy! The 66 station wouldn't give it back to me until they were satisfied with it, said they sent it back to the tranny shop "so they'd get it right". Told him the problem I'd had with thae same shop, he eventually dumped em for crappy work.

Long story short, if the shop did it right, that rebuilt AT should work like new, none of this stiffness or stickiness crap. Plus he gave it back to you without the dipstick? :banghead:Warranty time.

Totally agree on this.

There are such things as "tight rebuilds" than can have drag when real new, but a sticky linkage? No excuse for that.
This could be a misaligned valve body putting pressure on the linkage shaft, a bent manual valve, or a problem with the linkage itself.
The only way to tell is to disconnect the linkage at the trans and follow the tightness till you find it.

Also on the noisy gears, planetary sets that only had one or two of the 3 main parts they have replaced will have slightly mismatched gear teeth and can (almost always) be noisy.
This can go either way and get worse because the mismatch wore in and made all the clearances looser or wear in and get quieter because they match better.
Any good rebuilder will not match old planetary parts with new ones.
They would replace the sun gear, planet set and ring gear all at the same time so the new gears all wear in together.

The shift stiffness issue may or may not be just an adjustment to the TP linkage, but if they F'ed up that many other parts of the rebuild I wouldn't even count on it being installed as they say.
A TF3 should be able to give you whiplash if you adjusted it to do it.
I have built TF2's that made the glovebox door pop open on the 1-2 shift.
I recommended against it being adjusted that way because he didn't have the motor to support that tight and hard of a shift, but that's what the customer wanted.

..........they screwed up on the tf-3 installation, linkage that stiff has something bent or installed improperly..........ur trans guy is an idiot, especially when he says the stiffnes/binding is ok........kim..........

Yeah. You got hosed. Learn to do it yourself. It's a very simple transmission.

-
Back