it'll get away from you, if you let it!

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
It is amazing how fast an engine can spiral down into the abyss of high dollar, bragging rights, etc etc. I just tore down my "26k" rv motor yesterday, it gave me no signs to make me think it was anything but a low mile engine! No cylinder ridges, bearings all pretty, journals all clean and smooth, timing chain nice and tight. So the plan was to throw together what I already own, and get my Duster on the road finally. I've already got a performer intake, a TQ carb, 5.9 Magnum heads, valves and rocker gear. So After tearing down my motor, remember she has nice clean virgin bores! I instantly go to crazy...need to align bore, deck it for a 0 deck, roller cam and lifters...which then means roller rockers, eq heads. Suddenly I was looking at a mega thousand dollar motor, killing the remaining budget, and ruining any chance of driving it this year! So I go and see an old friend of mine...he has built more Mopar engines than I have opened hoods! His words...dont be stupid! So he is checking into a complete 340 he knows of. I'm not really good with that idea, but we will wait and see how much before ruling it out. Otherwise he says, just throw in a set of flat top hypereuctic slugs, a hydraulic stick, stock Magnum valvetrain, and see if my heads are good or not. No sense going nuts when the above described motor will run 13's all day ina manual trans a-body, and be plenty fun. It sure is easy to lose track of your original vision if you are not vigilant! The best news...he was happy to put it together for me, or help me do so! Woo Hoo!
:burnout::banghead:

You kinda of lost me.
The motor has 26K original miles, the cylinder bores are good and the bearings look good.
Just freshen it up and run it, pay close attention to the trust on the crank if it came out of an heavy RV.
Is this a LA or Magnum engine.

My 500 started out as a new set of head gaskets and oil pan gasket on the 440. The gaskets are new. lol

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Copy of coronet in garage 023.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 225
My small block o/d a833 dart has a '81 318 out of a stick shift van. Has over 100,000 miles. I installed a cam, performer intake with tq carb, and ported the heads. Motor runs great even with the low compression and stock exhaust manifolds. I would throw a .450/260' cam in it and run what you got.

Is 800 a good price for a complete 340 air cleaner to pan, in running condition? Come out of a 72 b-body. That is the word on the 340 offered to me. Most impressionable car I've ridden in was a buddies 73 340/4 gear Duster with a cam intake and carb. Really has me thinking.

I would buy a running 340 for $800. Do you know if it is stock bore? If it is that is a pretty good deal.

-
Back