It's always easier after you do one side

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Just changed out the door handles on my Duster. I learned by "trial by fire" that usually when you have to do a repair that requires both sides that once you tear down one side and figure out the hard way to do something that it's always easier after you finish that side before you move on to the other side and the task gets much simpler and quicker. Oh yeah, now I ve got a nice set of drivers quality door handles if anyone is interested. i will post pics in the parts section later.

I've been wanting to do this myself, may problem is that I have mint original door panels, and am afraid I'll hurt them removing them to gain access to the handles. What do you think??

Just changed out the door handles on my Duster. I learned by "trial by fire" that usually when you have to do a repair that requires both sides that once you tear down one side and figure out the hard way to do something that it's always easier after you finish that side before you move on to the other side and the task gets much simpler and quicker. Oh yeah, now I ve got a nice set of drivers quality door handles if anyone is interested. i will post pics in the parts section later.

Don't bet on it.

I've been wanting to do this myself, may problem is that I have mint original door panels, and am afraid I'll hurt them removing them to gain access to the handles. What do you think??

It wasn't too hard. I needed to remove the window and all related hardware that bolts to the window (minus the studs on the window) and the bolt that holds down the piston inside for the regulator, then if you pull the window out carefully, it should come out very easily. and the handles bolt right on. One side was a little hard to loosen up the bolts but if you work both of the nuts free, and work slowly you should have no problems with the replacement. The nice thing is almost all the nuts inside the door are 7/16ths and you only need an open/box, socket, allen key wrench, phillips head screwdriver to do the job. If you take your time you should not damage your paint.I broke the "J" clip on one of the handles. it was very brittle but I was able to score replacements at Auto Zone in the help section. I ended up replacing both "J" clips.

-
Back