Its finally happened.

-

JRDART

Owner "Poisoned Dart"
Reaction score
The milkshake of death has reared its ugly head. Went to add some fluid to my transmission...Looks like someone dumped a strawberry milkshake down my filler tube. Just for all intensive purposes is there a cost effective way to solve this? What are the possibilities for me to check as to what went wrong..and how screwed am I?

Strawberry milkshake? Just get a really long straw and slip it inside the tube....:glasses7:

Check your radiator, sounds like you have a internal leak in the radiator.

Check your radiator, sounds like you have a internal leak in the radiator.

Yep! you have a trans cooler leak inside the radiator. Antifreeze is mixing with tranny fluid. You need to either replace the radiator (or get it fixed) or you can disconnect the factory cooler lines and install a aftermarket trans cooler. You will need to flush everything out (trans., lines and cooling system) and don't forget to plug the cooler line fittings in the radiator if you put an external cooler on. The transmission might be ok if you caught it quick and flush everything properly. tmm

yeah the trans was rebuilt about 2 months ago. Talked to my grandpa and hes says the same thing that its not a problem right now but to check my radiator and make sure Im not blowing out coolant. It shifts in and out of gear perfectly and drives fine. It just got me worried. Ill have a trans cooler on it sometime next week.

If coolant hit the clutch packs they are probably toast. But I would try changing the fluid/filter because you just never know....

oddest thing....no sign of trans fluid in my coolant. No smell, color, or feel of it. Suggestions?

The rad puts out 16 lbs. the trans, where fluid coming from rad, is lower pressure, until it gets to pumps, which increase pressure. 2 changes of fluid; first one, then 1 a week later. (hopefully, the moisture will boil out, up the dip, or out the front pump vent.And if it is not water, just foam-frnt pump vent clogged.

see now thats what my grandpa said..That if it runs and drives good then its most likely foam.

That is why when I put in a separate trans cooler, I just bypass the radiator cooler. It seems to work fine. The outlet tube feels barely warm after stopping after hwy driving.

If it is water/coolant, the trans is toast.
Water/coolant releases the glue that holds the clutch material to the clutchpak discs and bands.
If it's just foam, then the fluid would look totally normal after an hour or less of sitting.
You can save the radiator by plugging the cooler line connections and using an external cooler.

General rule is water in a trans = rebuild, with converter and lines flush.

-
Back