Jack base does not go into spare tire

-

HSDemon

Reaction score
So, I was working on my trunk floor, cleaning it up, getting some minor surface rust out, and putting some POR15 on whatever surface rust there was. I started this some weeks ago and because of the weather I was not able to really finish it till today. When I bought this car the spare tire was completely flat and the spare tire, jack base, the hold down bolt, and the wing nut all fit in there with no issues. Today I filled up the tire, and went to put it in and there is no way this will work anymore. It seems that the main issue is that the jack base is supposed to go through the center hub of the spare wheel, but it will not go through, the jack base is too wide for the center hole of the wheel. So, now that the wheel is all filled up there is no way to put the wheel, and then the jack base, and then secure it, as the bolt would not be long enough. Seems that before, when the tire was empty, the jack base was just sitting on top of the wheel, instead of inside it, but the hold down bolt was long enough to hold everything in place as the tire was empty. I am sure that the issue has to do with the jack base not going into the center hole on the wheel. The spare is an original Mopar small bolt pattern rally wheel, it has the Mopar pentastar on it, the jack base is definitely a Mopar rectangular jack base with the round center and the triangular cutout for the jack. I am not sure what the issue is but I suspect that I may have an incorrect Jack base, is there a jack base with a smaller diameter round part to go into wheels with smaller center holes? As far as I know the Rally wheel never came as a spare, could the OEM spare wheel have had a bigger hole in it for the jack base? Maybe the small bolt circle A-Body wheels have smaller hub size than B body wheels and I have a jack base from a B-Body? Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me up the wall and I cannot find any info online, have done every search I can think of.

Hey HSDemon,

Pretty sure this is how the spare is stored in your car. Do you have the spare wheel in the trunk face down?

Cheers!

img_2362-jpg.jpg

73_Dart_101_0777.jpg

What car?
What year?
What body style?

Post some photos.

You think we can have some pictures or is that too much to ask? I mean seriously, if you really want help.......

Will be glad to get some photos, but it will have to be tomorrow :-(

So you are saying that the jack base OD
Screenshot_20230221-191327~2.png

Is larger in diameter than the wheel ID

Screenshot_20230221-191445.png

Do you have the correct wheel, does it fit on the car.

Perhaps you have a jack base for a B, C, E body. (5x4.5" has a larger diameter on the indexing hole.)

Screenshot_20230221-193436.png

Perhaps you have a jack base for a B, C, E body. (5x4.5" has a larger diameter on the indexing hole.)

View attachment 1716053724
That is what I though might be the issue, but I was not aware that the B, C, E-body jack base has a larger diameter indexing plug on the jack base. If that is the issue then I just need to get a correct A-Body jack base. Maybe someone here has one that they could sell.

Very interesting, as noted above, looks like if you have Ralley wheels no spare was supplied. Styled wheel class 1,2

Screenshot_20230221-194313.png

Looks like maybe the base is correct but you will need a steel wheel to have a spare.

The 14x4.5 SBP wheel with a 155 -14 wheel will sit flat in the spare well.

What does your jack base measure?

My 67 jack base is too burried under car show people's in the trunk but the center index hole on a stock steel wheel is 2.25 ID give or take. If your Ralley wheels measure smaller than that or your jack base measures larger than that you have the answer to your problem.

I don't know the ID of 5x4.5 wheels but I know it is larger.

Another thought, is your spare tire significantly larger in diameter than the tire well?

And there are different length carriage bolts.

When I went to my skinny spare the OEM bolt was too long, and I bought a shorter hardware store carrage bolt.

Last edited:
I believe that rallye wheel cars never came with a rallye wheel spare, but rather a standard 4" wide steel wheel and a smaller tire - maybe that's why it doesn't fit - for sure it's why the spare tire board must sit way up above the floor of the trunk...

That is what I though might be the issue, but I was not aware that the B, C, E-body jack base has a larger diameter indexing plug on the jack base. If that is the issue then I just need to get a correct A-Body jack base. Maybe someone here has one that they could sell.
That's what I think is your issue. Yes the A body small bolt pattern jack assembly is unique and the base has a smaller diameter where the mast is located on the base allowing it to fit in the center of the wheels. Pictures would have been easier. Lol

-
Back