jack for daily driver?

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
Had to change a tire on the Valiant on the road and it was precarious at best. Good thing it was a back tire I don't think the front bumper would have held on. What do you recommend getting for carrying around in the car. I have a 70 Dart and 63 Valiant both with a /6.

I have a small Craftsman floor jack that come in a blow-molded plastic case. Works on any car, as long as you're on a hard surface. I keep a couple scraps of plywood for pads in the trunk too (you could make a new spare tire cover board out of ply if you wanted to get carried away).

Whatever you get/ use, try it out at home.

The rear tires on my 67 won't come out of the wheel wells if you jack up the axle. You must raise the body.

The 2nd gen Barracuda jack is even scarier. It has no hook at all, and it's guaranteed to twist that skinny bumper, and leave scratches.

I bought a 2-1/2 ton scissors jack at the parts store. It doesn't have a case, but it would fit into a standard plastic tool box (minus the tray), if you wanted.

Hydraulic jacks are better, certainly, but are very heavy to haul around in the car. I figure it will only be used for changing tires -- I certainly am not going to trust it to crawl underneath, any more than with a bumper jack.

I jettisoned the bumper jack, for a net weight savings. I suppose I could carry it for shows, if I was worried about that sort of thing.

Had to change a tire on the Valiant on the road and it was precarious at best. Good thing it was a back tire I don't think the front bumper would have held on. What do you recommend getting for carrying around in the car. I have a 70 Dart and 63 Valiant both with a /6.

i use a $20 2 1/2 ton floor jack tied down in my trunk.
Yep.....go down to Harbor Freight and pick up there cheap aluminum floor jack, it is strong enough to lift the front of my diesel pick up off the ground safely....Pick up some cheap ratchet straps and a couple of eye bolts...

Whatever you get/ use, try it out at home.

The rear tires on my 67 won't come out of the wheel wells if you jack up the axle. You must raise the body.

And if you don't want to raise body too much you can stick a small bottle jack under the axle to get the wheel off the ground. They hardly take up any space. I also carry a couple 4x4x6" blocks.

-
Back