Jack stand placement.

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
I plan to test fit my one piece AMD floorpan this weekend in my 1972 dart. Once I remove the old floor pans what is the best way to support the car? I plan to use 4 jack stands as I do not have a lift. Where is the best place to place them so that the car has the least likely chance to flex? Never replaced a large structure section of a car like this before. Thanks!

I like to support close to the suspension points so that it sits as it would on it's suspension on the ground. You can always set it up, measure door gaps and such, cut the floor out, and re-measure and compare. If you support at the rockers, IE with the engine hanging, it's more likely to move. When I had my floor out, I spent a little time doing some extra welding on the supports that go from the rails to the inner rockers. Only a couple little spot welds on flange edges from factory.

Last edited:
Use 4 car ramps? I have used the front 2 facing backwards and the rear facing the normal way when installing my frame connectors. Andrew

I like to support close to the suspension points so that it sits as it would on it's suspension on the ground. You can always set it up, measure door gaps and such, cut the floor out, and re-measure and compare. If you support at the rockers, IE with the engine hanging, it's more likely to move. When I had my floor out, I spent a little time doing some extra welding on the supports that go from the rails to the inner rockers. Only a couple little spot welds on flange edges from factory.

Tried to minimize the weight. Only thing in the car is the front suspension and the rear end.

I did this to keep the weight on the tires. I jacked the car up and slid the ramps in and lowered it back down. Andrew

Tried to minimize the weight. Only thing in the car is the front suspension and the rear end.

2 stands under the rear axle and 2 on the front rails in front of the k frame. It's always a good idea to take pre measurements and double check. With little to no weight it shouldn't move at all.

I used ramps up front, jack stands under the transmission crossmember, and another set of jack stands under the rear shock plates. It's been pretty solid, I've removed portions of the rockers on each side, missing the front floor pans and transmission hump and can open the doors without any gap changes.

20170113_224259.jpg

Sorry, I should mention the car is a shell, so there is no weight in it.

-
Back