Jasper performance motors

-

dartman1974

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody out there knows anything about Jaspers performance engines? We have installed many of their stock engines with very few problems mostly small stuff like leaks etc but have no dealings with these engines Thanks

I'd personally like some info to back up problems with Jasper. I have personally used them a good bit during my career working on cars and never had a problem with one. I've known of one friend who did, but not only did they warranty the engine, but they also paid the shop time to do the job again. If their performance end is as good with quality control as I've seen their passenger car end is, I would try one if I didn't build my own.

They usually have a life span in months, not miles or years. They are a mass rebuilder. I've installed 4 of them. None lasted longer than 13 months in daily use. The two in work trucks didnt go even 4 months. Honestly, I think they try to do a fair job with them. But there's only so much that can be done for the least cash outlay. I would much prefer a factory used engine in decent shape (or re-ringed) than spending on a Jasper. BTW, these were small Ford and small Chevys. The last Mopar 360 Jasper I took apart was a total abortion when it was closely inspected.

Get a good local shop to build you an engine the right way. Ask around, find one with a great reputation, you'll be much better off. Got a Jasper in my son's '88 Mustang, it came out of an '88 Turbo Coupe, head was all messed up had to have it redone by a good local shop that made it right. Engine had less then 2,000 miles on it. And while Ford put forged in the 2.3 turbo engines Jasper puts hypers in instead; lame.

The reason for this thread is to see if anyone had used or knew of somebody that had used one of their performance engines.This engine would be for a customers Dart SportWe dont have the room or time to build an engine in our shop We have installed probably 20 of their engines in the last 15 years or so with very few problems.When sellling an engine job the warrenty means a lot.When building my own motor I am my warrenty which by the way Im in the process of building a 408 for my Dart Thanks

Dartman, I won't ever use one for a personal customer. The ones Ive installed were through an employer when I was wrenching. Two (5.0L fords) were the "high performance" versions. One had a cracked head after 6 months. The other was smoking after 13 months. It's unpleasant explaining the smoke to a customer who just cleared the warranty. They are ok rebuilt engines. They are not performance engines, nor will they withstand abuse. If you do need to comply with a fast time table, I'd either fogo any warranty on anything, or pay for a better crate performance engine.

Well as I said before, I've used their standard engines for years and know plenty of other people who have as well and not had problems. Can't say the same for Fred Jones, ATK or any of the rest.

Depends on break in and user. If its for a normal car with 2.73 gears and driven easy it might last a long time.

For a teenager with 4.10 gears, :toothy10:

Put one in my boat, 350 chebby, $2300, only has 12 hours on it (Jasper paid the marina to pull and fix the pan, rear main, and front crank leaks-$1600), seems ok now, lol.

Jasper has a 3 year warranty Moper. Sounds like the customer may have been done an injustice.

P - If you've never dealt with them or read the fine print... the warranty is VERY subjective and they make the decisions. In the case of the performance Ford that smoked:
PERFORMANCE ENGINES:
Class I, Cars and Trucks - Short Blocks 6 Months or 8,000 Miles Parts + Labor^
Class I, Cars and Trucks - Completes 3 Years or 100,000 Miles Parts + Labor~†
Class II, Cars and Trucks - Short Blocks
(Except Racing and Abuse) 6 Months or 8,000 Miles Parts
Class II, Cars and Trucks - Completes
(Except Racing and Abuse) 6 Months or 8,000 Miles Parts + Labor~
1 Year or 16,000 Miles Parts
Class III Including racing applications No Warranty
Time or Mileage, whichever occurs first.
^ Maximum labor on Short Blocks not to exceed purchase price of unit.
~ Motor Homes: Maximum of 25 hours for Completes; Maximum of 20 hours for Special Completes.
† Ambulance, automotive off-highway use, package delivery, police, snow removal, taxi, tow truck, or any vehicle over 1 ton, 18 Months or 100,000 Miles, whichever occurs first.
Please refer to our Special Airline Industry Warranty.

They considered trail use as racing.

-
Back