Jegs Speedmaster intake for small block 318 ?

-

Darter6

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is using this intake on their small block ? Looking to use one on a budget 318 daily driver. I'm sure it's from China but I like the fact that it's not a spread bore.
Pros/Cons ?

So, the same AirGap knock offs that have been around for a few years now listed under a different offshore name. Gotcha.

You might look into some of the older threads on the knock off airgaps. Seemed like most people were happy with them for the price, but there were some minor issues that came up. I’d be willing to bet they’re all the same casting.

Yeah just a stock 318 up grade to a 4 bbl and headers. Working on a small budget. Reason for asking is someone with a Competition Products one had vacuum leak problems and couldn't get the car to run right. Swapped out the manifold with a Edelbrock and no more problem.They look identical.
Just one of those "If it sounds too good to be true,it isn't" stories. I hate to buy it only to find out it sucks.

I've asked repeatedly on here for folks to verify which brands have sealing issues and if we can prove the same casting is being used by different brand names.

I've had ZERO response.

Edelbrock could possibly quash some of the competition these knock offs are generating if they'd make a dual mount piece.

Yeah just a stock 318 up grade to a 4 bbl and headers. Working on a small budget. Reason for asking is someone with a Competition Products one had vacuum leak problems and couldn't get the car to run right. Swapped out the manifold with a Edelbrock and no more problem.They look identical.
Just one of those "If it sounds too good to be true,it isn't" stories. I hate to buy it only to find out it sucks.

Some people have had good success with them, a few have had issues. But then again, a few people have had issues with the Eddy’s too. Quality control isn’t what it used to be.

I think the trick is to buy them through a retailer like Jegs or Summit. At least that way if you have an issue you have a decent return/replacement policy to fall back on.

I've asked repeatedly on here for folks to verify which brands have sealing issues and if we can prove the same casting is being used by different brand names.

I've had ZERO response.

Edelbrock could possibly quash some of the competition these knock offs are generating if they'd make a dual mount piece.

Yeah that’s how they get away with it, although I’d be surprised is Edelbrock doesn’t still have an argument since they’re so darn close. I mean, they look exactly like AirGap manifolds other than the extra set of mounting bosses for the magnums.

The problem with proving they’re all the same casting is I think that you’d literally need to buy a bunch of them, one from each of the brands/companies marketing them, and compare them side by side. Based on the pictures I’ve seen they all look the same. I think it would take more than just a casual comparison to show the castings are actually the same, and I don’t know that you’re gonna find someone to buy several different intakes and evaluate them all. Especially since some of the brands would probably need to be bought from retailers that might have less than spectacular customer service.

You can find a used Weiand Action Plus for around 100-125 bucks. Cheaper yet on the budget and the 318 will just love it. I'm speaking from experience....

^^^^ I think you are right.Weiand make a darn good product.Had one on my Poly 318. I just got to get over the spread bore fact when using a AFB carb. I have it in my wish list. Also I'm one of these kinda guys that always want to try something different.

^^^^ I think you are right.Weiand make a darn good product.Had one on my Poly 318. I just got to get over the spread bore fact when using a AFB carb. I have it in my wish list. Also I'm one of these kinda guys that always want to try something different.
Action plus is fine with spreadbore or square bore

Some people have had good success with them, a few have had issues. But then again, a few people have had issues with the Eddy’s too. Quality control isn’t what it used to be.

I think the trick is to buy them through a retailer like Jegs or Summit. At least that way if you have an issue you have a decent return/replacement policy to fall back on.

Yeah that’s how they get away with it, although I’d be surprised is Edelbrock doesn’t still have an argument since they’re so darn close. I mean, they look exactly like AirGap manifolds other than the extra set of mounting bosses for the magnums.

The problem with proving they’re all the same casting is I think that you’d literally need to buy a bunch of them, one from each of the brands/companies marketing them, and compare them side by side. Based on the pictures I’ve seen they all look the same. I think it would take more than just a casual comparison to show the castings are actually the same, and I don’t know that you’re gonna find someone to buy several different intakes and evaluate them all. Especially since some of the brands would probably need to be bought from retailers that might have less than spectacular customer service.
Edelbrock has a US Patent on theirs and not a world wide patent. As long as the original manufacturer doesn't try to pass it off as a Edelbrock or use their copyrighted logo's, worldwide copying is fair game.

...but if everyone on FABO/FxBO that has used one would report the brand name and if it sealed or not and/or what steps were necessary to get it to seal, and any identifying marks/measurements that could group similar or identical castings.....

-
Back