Junk Yard in Phelan California

-
wow,,,,so there are still some bodys to be haddd,,,

thanks for the memories,,,kool junk yard

Wow that is a Mopar guys version of heaven!
I could spend a week in there just roaming around and drooling over the clean rust-free parts!
I live on the wrong end of the country!:sad:

he is pricey but has lots of parts and stuff

i find the dual wheels pretty impressive....

i like that do it yourself stuff to go fast...

:toothy7: how much for the snow blower? I dought he uses that to much. lol
some clean metal out there

Here's the original post at another forum:

UBB Message | | Moparts Forums

Darryl Finch is located in Phelan, CA. Just South of Victorville off of I-15. 760-963-7809
A few weeks ago I met Darryl at his business in Phelan, CA. I was there to buy an exhaust manifold for my 273 V8. While there I asked him if he knew of an 8 3/4 rear end that was available in 1966 for a Plymouth Valiant Signet. He seemed very knowledgeable and said he had such a rear end. I have never seen an 8 3/4 made specifically for the Valiant. None of my MOPAR owner friends have either. Darryl seemed convincing so I said I would buy the rear end. He assured me it was a turn-key operation. Just bolt it in, check if the drive shaft has to be modified. I didn't know if the rear end would need new bearings and seals so I paid him an additional fee to install brakes, seals and bearings. I felt pretty good about this transaction and we parted on a hand-shake.
Well a hand-shake deal is apparently a thing of the past. I got the unit to my mechanic and we found out the rear end did not fit my car. The assembly was too long. The spring perches were not right and the pinion angle was not correct. In addition, no one that looked at the rear end could identify what brand of car it may have come from.
When we looked at the brakes, all the parts except the shoes were junk. The springs were dead, no bounce. The clearance adjusting wheels were seized. One of the brake fluid supply lines was kinked.
So far I have spent another $700.00 to hopefully get the assembly to fit in my car. I had to have the axle tubes shortened and straightened. The axles had to be shortened and the pinion gear angle set.
Why didn't I ask for a refund? I did. I can only send text messages to his cell phone and leave voice messages on his cell phone and home phone. He claims he doesn't get cell phone coverage where he lives. I seem to get through to his house line. Darryl finally sent a text asking what he could do to help. I told him about giving me a refund. No answer!
The only reason I got involved with Darryl is because of the difficulty finding parts for a car that I have owned for over 50 years (I bought the car new) and everything I have read and heard about him was positive. The car is like the day I bought it off the showroom floor. Whatever I put on the car is the right stuff. Darryl comes off as an expert. From my experience he mislead me and is not being honest with me.
valiant66_1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't be so down.
Yes, you DO have to shorten the driveshaft to put that in a Valiant, and ancient parts may need total replacement.
Be happy you now have a rear end that's strong enough to almost be unbreakable.
If it already had the small wheel bolt pattern, you are way ahead in the game.

Narrow A body 8 3/4s were rare even 30 years ago. I had to shorten my driveshaft even on a 111" Dart that had a 7 1/4, a 108" Valiant absolutely would need it.

A few weeks ago I met Darryl at his business in Phelan, CA. I was there to buy an exhaust manifold for my 273 V8. While there I asked him if he knew of an 8 3/4 rear end that was available in 1966 for a Plymouth Valiant Signet. He seemed very knowledgeable and said he had such a rear end. I have never seen an 8 3/4 made specifically for the Valiant. ....]

Joined the forum two years ago, and this is your first post. Took you a while, but at least it was a good opener.

Welcome to the forum. Nice lookin' car. Lets shorten the wavelength and increase the post frequency, eh?

:)

great car and a better story that you bought it new. Oh, and sad to hear about our experience

Last edited:
NO!, you mean a guy out there with a wrecking yard talked bullshot? :D

NO!, you mean a guy out there with a wrecking yard talked bullshot? :D
My fave wrecker, Les Lawson, would chew on his unlit cigar stub, and if he didn't like ya, he'd say "Sometimes ya get a good deal, sometimes yas don't get such a good deal".
If he really didn't like someone, he'd say "I wanna see your butt out of here, NOW, high gear, too!"

My fave wrecker, Les Lawson, would chew on his unlit cigar stub, and if he didn't like ya, he'd say "Sometimes ya get a good deal, sometimes yas don't get such a good deal".
If he really didn't like someone, he'd say "I wanna see your butt out of here, NOW, high gear, too!"

My favorite wrecker was a yard one of my racing buddies Dad owned where I got parts whenever I needed for my Roadrunner free. :D
Once he gave me a perfectly good strong running 440 police motor, and there wasn't one bit of hesitation to pulling the numbers matching 383 Magnum and dropping that 440 in there.
Had I known what I know today, I wouldn't have scrapped that 383.

Don't be so down.
Yes, you DO have to shorten the driveshaft to put that in a Valiant, and ancient parts may need total replacement.
Be happy you now have a rear end that's strong enough to almost be unbreakable.
If it already had the small wheel bolt pattern, you are way ahead in the game.
I knew I had to shorten the drive shaft. Other than the drive shaft it was supposed to be turn key.

Its always been "buyer beware" seems like you didnt look at what u were buying.

Having never seen an 8 3/4 that was specifically made for a 1966 Valiant, neither myself or anyone I have spoken too except Darryl has seen that specific rear end. Because of websites like this one and others, Darryl comes off as an expert and one that can be trusted. There are times when people have to be trusted, like a doctor, a rescuer, or the pilot flying airliners. I tried to be specific about this when I wrote this post. My intention for posting my message is supported by those that say I should have looked before buying. It is sad to say you can't trust anybody which I don't agree with. I like to trust people. It feels nice when a deal can be concluded with a handshake. Enough said.

Same rear axle that runs in any 67-72 A body. 57 1/8" wide.
Was it a Small Bolt Pattern set up?

Perches should be at 43" Center to Center.

Could have gotten a better piece from me in the palm springs area. Been advertised in the for sale section for a couple of weeks.

Same rear axle that runs in any 67-72 A body. 57 1/8" wide.
Was it a Small Bolt Pattern set up?

Perches should be at 43" Center to Center.

Could have gotten a better piece from me in the palm springs area. Been advertised in the for sale section for a couple of weeks.
Those are the dimensions I used to modify the one I purchased. Plus the pinion angle.

What were the dimensions of the one you got and was it SBP?

I have delt with him, has a good inventory, knows quite a bit, but not always right. FABO is a great place to verify with those generous folks sharing knowledge, allowing for an informed purchase.

-
Back